cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
‘New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit – register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
xxvvcczz
Level III

Can't get just ONE axis to reverse

I'm trying to get just the Y axis inverted, using JSL

This is a graph-builder that contains shapes from a NAME.jsl file with an XY.JSL file as well.

Whenever I reverse one axis the other reverses as well, how can I get my Y axis ALONE to invert and the X axis to stay the same?

When I do this on other graphs it works fine, but this one that contains Custom shapes has me stumped.

Is there anything I can do?

I tried even setting the Min/Max range but not matter what I do to one axis it gets applied to both of them.

This affects this script generated chart in both JMP 14 and JMP16. just tested both to see if JMP16 handled shapes better.

//gbr2 = Report( gb_w_c );

//gbr2[axisbox( 1 )] << Reversed Scale( 1 ); //Hits both axes at same time unfortunately

//This just leaves me with both axis reversed 

Dispatch({},"",ScaleBox(1), {Max( 0 ), Min( 300000 ),Reversed Scale(1)}), //Y axis
Dispatch({},"",ScaleBox(2), {Min( 0 ), Max( 300000 ),Reversed Scale(0)}), //X axis

2 REPLIES 2
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Can't get just ONE axis to reverse

Instead of reversing the scale, could you just invert your shape file definition?  If the axis values are important you might need to get creative with your axis title.

To invert the shape file, just open the XY file, pick one axis and make a new formula with old axis multiplied by -1 (or use something else that is meaningful to users), then delete the formula for the new column, delete the old column, and finally rename the new column to the old name.

xxvvcczz
Level III

Re: Can't get just ONE axis to reverse

I really need 0,0 to be the top left corner of the array and for the Y axis to increase as it goes down.

That matches the factory equipment this GUI is designed to help with.

Presenting the users with negative numbers on the Y axis that don't match the equipment is going to be too confusing.

I love the way JMP allows you to interact with on screen shapes once they are rendered (filtering, selecting, generating new datasets from selected shape rows).

Initial Rendering, refreshing, and editing however is really difficult. The quirky behavior with these shapes makes the investment in creating applications using them really risky since they may just not pan out altogether.