cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
twaintwist
Level III

Can't change focus to Current Data Table

I've created a summary table and now I'd like to manipulate the Summary Table and create a graph from it.....

2462_Logfile.jpg

But I can't seem to get the 'Current Data Table' command to work..... (see screenshot above)....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Can't change focus to Current Data Table

dt is not supposed to change here. The table variable dt still linked to the original table because you have not reassigned it.

In the code you assign the summary table to the table variable summary_table_name (you can use almost any name). To sort that table use

summary_table_name<< sort(...);

If you want to make jmp to forget dt and reuse that name for the summary table, try:

dt = dt << summary(...) ;

But that's not wise if you'll need to address the original table later in the script. Look

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
wiebepo
Level III

consider using the following syntax to give a handle to your summary table:

summary_table_name=dt<<Summary(Group(:SORTonTHIS));

dt<<Sort(By(:N Row), Order(Descending));

summary_table_name<<Graph Builder(...);

twaintwist
Level III

wiebepo --- thanks ----

It still is not switching to the Summary Table ---- it remains with the original datatable (which is called 'Script_temp') ---- you can see from the debug screen that 'dt' is still showing the original table and not the summary table after executing:  

summary_table_name=dt<<Summary(Group(:SORTonTHIS));

2463_Debug.jpg

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

dt is not supposed to change here. The table variable dt still linked to the original table because you have not reassigned it.

In the code you assign the summary table to the table variable summary_table_name (you can use almost any name). To sort that table use

summary_table_name<< sort(...);

If you want to make jmp to forget dt and reuse that name for the summary table, try:

dt = dt << summary(...) ;

But that's not wise if you'll need to address the original table later in the script. Look

twaintwist
Level III

Thanks ---- Obviously I was confused --- thanks for clearing that up for me

twaintwist
Level III

I'm still having problems understanding what I can and can't do with a separate dataTable....

For the Summary table I've successfully created two new columns, populated another with data and now I'm  trying to concatenate two columns on the Summary table called 'ParetoTable'...

ParetoTable << For each Row(:ProductProblemCategory_=:Order || :ProductProblemCategory);

Nothing happens --- see log screenshot ------ but occasionally I get an error in the log saying that 'ProductProblemCategory_' is not an L-value...etc..

2464_Foreach.jpg

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

I don't think For Each Row() can be used as a message in the JSL syntax. Think of it as a function that applies to the current data table.

Try either to first make sure that PeretoTable is the current data table and then the row-wise concat:

ParetoTable=current data table();

for each row(ProblemProductCategory_ = :Order||:ProblemProductCategory);

Or use the dt:col syntax to explicitly address the columns:

for each row(ParetoTable:ProblemProductCategory_ = ParetoTable:Order||ParetoTable:ProblemProductCategory);

twaintwist
Level III

MS --- thanks ---- they both worked....