cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
sanqub
Level III

Can someone help me with PC settings to improve analysis speed?

Dear friends,

I have Intel Xeon Processor E5-1650 v3 (15M Cache, 3.50 GHz, 6cores) with windows 7.

My system stop responding sometimes. 

For instance, I have just 12000 data points each with 95 columns. When I do a fit model with full factorial using just 20input variables, system stops responding. Also when I use multivariate analysis, parallel plots etc with the same data it is extremely slow.

But I use same system to do simulations on other software, it works quiet well. One setting found in this software called MAGMAsoft is "use all the cores" for simulations.

I was wondering if there are similar options even in JMP? or the analysis and data I am using is too much for JMP?

Thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
pmroz
Super User

Re: Can someone help me with PC settings to improve analysis speed?

JMP is an in-memory system, so the more RAM you can add the better.

robust1972
Level IV

hi, 

1) as pmroz pointed, just top up your memory to as much as you can, the maximum of Win7 is 16 GB. My PC is on Win7 with 16 GB memory(dual cores, 3.4 GHz), which could handling 4~6 M rows and few tens of columns. I would suggest you open and monitor the task manager while you handle the data. Most of the  time, JMP looks hanging but it still working.

2) Compress Selected Columns, as below, which can release considerable amount of memory by adjusting the columns' modeling type and data type to their least memory consuming states.

use Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
dt <<
Compress Selected Columns( {:Age, :sex, :Height, :Weight} );

pmroz
Super User

If you're using 64-bit Windows 7 the maximum RAM can be quite a bit higher than 16 GB.  But it depends on which version of Windows 7 you have.  The information below was taken from here:

The maximum RAM limit for 32-bit Windows 7 editions is 4GB.  When it comes to the 64-bit editions, the amount of memory that the OS can address depends on which edition you are running.  Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

sanqub
Level III

Apologies I forgot to mention. I have 32GB Ram and Windows 7 enterprise. Its a 6 core processor