cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
learning_JSL
Level IV

Can JMP compute Duan's smearing estimator (Duan, 1983) for retransformations

Hi - I just modeled, using multiple linear regression, log Ecoli in terms of log turbidity and a rainfall variable and now need to retransform the Ecoli results back into arithmetic form.  This retransformation technique was used to good effect in a similar project (USGS OFR 2020-1048).  I can't find any reference to it in JMP.    

Campbell_Ted_R_0-1630614824888.png

Any suggestions?   Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can JMP compute Duan's smearing estimator (Duan, 1983) for retransformations

I suggest that you save the residuals from the fitting platform, then create a new data column with another formula to implement transformation. Then use Summary, Distribution, or Tabulate to calculate the smearing estimator (average back-transformed residual).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Can JMP compute Duan's smearing estimator (Duan, 1983) for retransformations

I suggest that you save the residuals from the fitting platform, then create a new data column with another formula to implement transformation. Then use Summary, Distribution, or Tabulate to calculate the smearing estimator (average back-transformed residual).

learning_JSL
Level IV

Thanks Mark!