cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
OneNorthJMP
Level V

Can JMP column selection accept asterisk (*)?

I want to select list of columns with below expression NVM_VMAX_VCMIN_RD_ICB_ECC0*.SB only. But when i type *, JMP cannot recognize it. Is there any idea how to achieve my objective? Thanks 

JMP_filter.pngJMP_asterick.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Can JMP column selection accept asterisk (*)?

@OneNorthJMP , I think @ian_jmp 's solution is the most flexible.

Extending Ian's first suggestion:

• Use the red menu to Show Filter
  • Then use the black menu, to the right of the magnifying glass and select Regular Expression and Ignore Case.
  • Then type in .\.func|sb that is is period, escape (\), period, func, or (|). sb. The screenshot is shown below.  Of course if you wanted the leading name, type this string [nvm_vmax_vcmin_rd_icb_ecco_]?.\.func|sbimage.png

The downside to this approach is that it requires knowledge of some basic regular expression syntax. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ian_jmp
Staff

Take a look at the 'Show Filter' option under the red triangle in your screenshot above:

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 09.54.03.png

OneNorthJMP
Level V

Hi Ian,

My case i have list of tests below. But i only want to stack NVM_VMAX_VCMIN_RD_ICB_ECC0_*MB.
I only want *.SB & *.FUNC.

NVM_VMAX_VCMIN_RD_ICB_ECC0_1000.SB
NVM_VMAX_VCMIN_RD_ICB_ECC0_1000.MB
NVM_VMAX_VCMIN_RD_ICB_ECC0_1000.FUNC
NVM_VMAX_VCMIN_RD_ICB_ECC0_2000.SB
NVM_VMAX_VCMIN_RD_ICB_ECC0_2000.MB
NVM_VMAX_VCMIN_RD_ICB_ECC0_2000.FUNC
NVM_VMAX_VCMIN_RD_ICB_ECC0_3000.SB
NVM_VMAX_VCMIN_RD_ICB_ECC0_3000.MB
NVM_VMAX_VCMIN_RD_ICB_ECC0_3000.FUNC
ian_jmp
Staff

I thought the column filter was more flexible, but perhaps my memory is failing me. You could always select columns with a JSL snippet in this fashion:

NamesDefaultToHere(1);

dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Probe.jmp");
allCols = dt << getColumnNames("String");

myCols = {};
for(c=1, c<=NItems(allCols), c++,
	thisCol = allCols[c];
	if(StartsWith(thisCol, "M") & EndsWith(thisCol, "VGATERTFF"), InsertInto(myCols, thisCol));
);
dt << selectColumns(myCols);

then just hit 'Stack Columns' in the dialog. Not sure if you wanted to use code, though. As usual, the 'best' answer depends on exactly what needs to be done, by whom and how often.

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

@OneNorthJMP , I think @ian_jmp 's solution is the most flexible.

Extending Ian's first suggestion:

• Use the red menu to Show Filter
  • Then use the black menu, to the right of the magnifying glass and select Regular Expression and Ignore Case.
  • Then type in .\.func|sb that is is period, escape (\), period, func, or (|). sb. The screenshot is shown below.  Of course if you wanted the leading name, type this string [nvm_vmax_vcmin_rd_icb_ecco_]?.\.func|sbimage.png

The downside to this approach is that it requires knowledge of some basic regular expression syntax. 

ian_jmp
Staff

Thanks @gzmorgan0 - I must have found this before because of my 'more flexible' comment in the thread above. But clearly I wasn't able to find it again!

To be clear, (and on a Mac) clicking on the magnifying glass you get with 'Show filter' will bring up the required context menu . . .

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 11.17.53.png

OneNorthJMP
Level V

Hi gzmorgan0,
That is the solution i am looking for. Regular expression work for me. Thanks.

Thanks to Ian for your support!