cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
adam
Level IV

Calculation difference between actual(MS Excel) and JMP

Hi,

Recently I noticed when I am doing a simple calculation using formula there is a delta of 0.0xx in JMP when compare to MS Excel or a normal calculator(refer to attached graphic). Can I know whether this is expected in JMP.

Thanks.

Diff in calculation.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Calculation difference between actual(MS Excel) and JMP

I have attached the data table I used.  Below is an image of the table

calculation.PNG

Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Running with JMP 13.2.1 and Office 365 I got the identical values between the calculations in JMP and Excel.

Jim
adam
Level IV

Hi Jim,
I guess this could be some sort of "bug" :) I use a normal calculator and the results follow the Excel after all this calculation supposedly gave out 3-decimal point but result in JMP shows up to 9-decimal point.
txnelson
Super User

I have attached the data table I used.  Below is an image of the table

calculation.PNG

Jim
adam
Level IV

I guess this has to do with Col Info > Format. In my JMP data, the first 2 columns were set to Fixed but the result column was set to Best. I think the calculation result actually took the values(contained 9-decimal point) from the 2 columns which was set to Fixed.

That data actually came from a test result so I guess I wasn't aware that it has so many decimal points :-)

Anyway, thanks a lot Jim for your response.