cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
adam
Level IV

Calculation difference between actual(MS Excel) and JMP

Hi,

Recently I noticed when I am doing a simple calculation using formula there is a delta of 0.0xx in JMP when compare to MS Excel or a normal calculator(refer to attached graphic). Can I know whether this is expected in JMP.

Thanks.

Diff in calculation.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Calculation difference between actual(MS Excel) and JMP

I have attached the data table I used.  Below is an image of the table

calculation.PNG

Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Running with JMP 13.2.1 and Office 365 I got the identical values between the calculations in JMP and Excel.

Jim
adam
Level IV

Hi Jim,
I guess this could be some sort of "bug" :) I use a normal calculator and the results follow the Excel after all this calculation supposedly gave out 3-decimal point but result in JMP shows up to 9-decimal point.
txnelson
Super User

I have attached the data table I used.  Below is an image of the table

calculation.PNG

Jim
adam
Level IV

I guess this has to do with Col Info > Format. In my JMP data, the first 2 columns were set to Fixed but the result column was set to Best. I think the calculation result actually took the values(contained 9-decimal point) from the 2 columns which was set to Fixed.

That data actually came from a test result so I guess I wasn't aware that it has so many decimal points :-)

Anyway, thanks a lot Jim for your response.