cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mmkaz
Level II

Calculating median when comparing two continuous variables in a multivariate analysis

Dear JMP Board, 

I am currently working on a biomedical dataset comparing doses and blood levels of four different medication. My PI instructed me in short to compare the data for each blood level and dose across different subgroups (male, female; pre-, post-pubescent etc.). Practically spoken he told me to use a multivariate analysis to calculate a p vale within groups (Y = Dose + blood level data by medicaments and e.g. sex or ethnicity or age). To calculate p value within groups I used a standard Spearmans test. Additionally to that, he asked me to calculate each the median for dose and blood level but both of us didn't really know how... All I found so far was a way to calculate a mean value for each when using a multivariate analysis. 
So we both thought it might be best to ask people who are more acquainted with JMP and thus I am reaching out to anyone who might know better. Thanks for any help, much appreciated! 

I am currently using macOS Big Sur 11.6 and JMP version 16.0.0.

1 REPLY 1
Phil_Kay
Staff

Re: Calculating median when comparing two continuous variables in a multivariate analysis

Hi,

I am not sure that I fully understand. However, I think that the Summary tool from the Tables menu could help.

Using an example of data on students (Big Class.jmp) from JMP's sample data folder (Help > Sample Data > Examples for teaching) we can get the median Height and Weight for each group of Sex.

We select Height and Weight and choose Median from the Statistics drop down. Then add Sex to the Group role:

Phil_Kay_0-1634574563680.png

You can see the medians in the resulting summary table:

Phil_Kay_1-1634574738848.png

Or you could use Tabulate from the Analyze menu to achieve a similar result in the form of a report:

Phil_Kay_3-1634574814693.png

(I imagine you can figure out how to do this yourself, but let me know if not.)

Does this help? 

By the way, I suspect that there would be better ways to analyse your data, but I guess your PI knows best!

Regards,

Phil