cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Zara
Level III

CSV file changes numeric data to character

When I open the CSV file in JMP all the numeric turns into character and by changing column info the data either disappears or randomly changed into various incorrect decimal formats, should I try any other tools? methods to open the file?

Data manager and production analyst
14 REPLIES 14
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: CSV file changes numeric data to character

You should try File->ImportMultipleFiles, which will also work for a single file. It uses a different algorithm and does not try to guess about the file's format. It can be faster too. If it doesn't work, maybe there will be a message that helps figure this out.

Craige
Zara
Level III

Thanks again, I tried all I could with the import Multiple- as data again it will change to character in all choices and when I want to change the info and make them numeric-continuous, most of the data disappears

No messages and software will ask to be closed at some cases, looks like the data is too big to handle ??

as text, is there any way to split a column of text to more columns??

Craige_Hales
Super User

Your file is not too large.

Without seeing the data it is hard to say what is happening. My guess is there are some characters in the file that look like commas or periods or quotation marks but are actually other Unicode characters. If you can isolate a line or two of the file that cause the problem in an editor (notepad, JMP, etc) it might become obvious. You might also try opening with excel and see if that produces a diagnostic message that helps.

You can also work with JMP tech support in a more private conversation...Support tab at top of page.

Craige
Craige_Hales
Super User

Two videos since you asked about importing the file as text and splitting...

first, the hard way, importing lines then splitting them

next, the easy way (which apparently isn't working for you...)

Craige
Zara
Level III

Thanks a lot Craige