cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Zara
Level III

CSV file changes numeric data to character

When I open the CSV file in JMP all the numeric turns into character and by changing column info the data either disappears or randomly changed into various incorrect decimal formats, should I try any other tools? methods to open the file?

Data manager and production analyst
14 REPLIES 14
jthi
Super User

Re: CSV file changes numeric data to character

In what type of format is your data in? Could it even be converted to a number? Could you share the .csv file?

For example:

jthi_0-1692780405027.png

jthi_1-1692780414885.png

-Jarmo
Zara
Level III

unfortunately, I cant share the csv file, the data is 3 column the tag name, data and data points of an online measurement time series. The tag names and date info transfers properly, but data transfers properly in character format and when I change it to continuous, all I explained happens... here is a couiple od data points:

I also open data with using preview, It solved the problem without pushing any other change but I received this message, and since the data set has more tha 1 mil, rows, I am still not sure if the data transfers properly. 

Random check however looks ok with data as continuous and decimals

Zara_1-1692781611949.png

Craige_Hales
Super User

The alert dialog means JMP found values in a numeric column that could not be converted to numbers. It replaced the value with a missing value. It continued on after that, so the rest of your data should be okay. The suggestion about converting the column to character is just so you could investigate what the odd value was.
Craige
Craige_Hales
Super User

Also, a question about your sample of data. Are those commas delimiters between values or are they decimals?
Craige
Zara
Level III

Thanks, cammas are decimals in source data, the visual investigation is not a good solution to find odd values in such a big number of raws (15478), I prefer having 186 missing values... however this is a subset of much larger data, so 186 leave out from a sample can be much more in the big data without knowing the reason is not a safe situation, thats why I am looking for a proper import of csv files into JMP, I think I do not know all tips and tricks here in transfering data from csv to JMP

Zara
Level III

a subset of 1542834 raws

Craige_Hales
Super User

Are the values in your file delimited by tab characters? Or is the import being confused by commas being used two different ways?
Craige
Craige_Hales
Super User

Could you edit and copy the source script from the imported table and show us what it looks like. That will give us some information about what might be going wrong. If you could give us one line of the data as seen by notepad, that would also help.
Craige
Zara
Level III

In source csv file the data delimited by camma, and decimals are dots, when it transfers to jmp I see no delimitation problem, and the dot(.) transferred to comma for decimals in character format, or with the other solution and the message I find data properly transferred both with delimitation and for the decimals, however I have the same sense that missing values are related to comma/dot decimals maybe??