cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ConradG
Level II

Bubble plot time calibration

I am drawing an animated bubble plot with time as the x-axis as well as the time.  My data is recorded every 1 second.  Is there a way to calibrate the Speed slider such that the plot is drawn, one point every second to match the data?

ConradG_0-1658862965655.png

8 REPLIES 8
txnelson
Super User

Re: Bubble plot time calibration

I am not aware of anyway to control the animation to your indicated level of precision.

Jim
txnelson
Super User

I am not aware of any way to control the animation to your indicated level of precision.

Jim
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @ConradG ,

There is a speed statement in the bubble plot. What i do not know is what units it uses. higher is faster so it is not a derivative of the cycle.

try using the value of 1 or around that unit. to me it looks close enough to once a second

Perhaps one of the developers can provide more information about the speed units. 

Untitled.png

let us know if it helps.

ron

ConradG
Level II

Hi @ron_horne ,

Thanks!  I notice that you can rescale the slider scale, so that a speed of "1" will depend upon the defined scale.  I agree, it would be great to know what units the slide is in (or maybe it's a percentage of full scale, or something like that?).  I would expect that if I define the slider scale correctly then the value selected would indicate the actual speed (1 = 1 sec, etc.).

Thanks,

Greg

ConradG
Level II

Perhaps I need to clarify a little bit: I would like to know what speed setting equals 1 sec per new data point / row appearing on the chart.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

To me this was clear.

Perhaps one of the developers can enlighten us about the units of SPEED and how to convert them to rows per second @Jeff_Perkinson 

Hi @ConradG,

Bubble Plot animation currently works on the time levels [0, n-1], and not directly on the time values.  Since you have regularly spaced data, it should be possible to get close to what you want, so I'll describe what JMP is doing.

Animation speed is controlled by changing two factors:

1. A delay between each frame (from 1-60 frames/sec)
  2. The increment in time level between each frame

At the default speed (10):

1. A frame is shown every 1/15s
  2. Time advances by .1 levels between each frame shown

With constantly spaced time, you should see time advance at roughly 1.5 levels/sec.  Changing the speed will have a linear effect (up to the min/max), so if you want to advance at n levels / sec you can use speed = n*20/3.

I tried this with the PopAgeGroup sample data in the attached file PopAgeAnimationSpeed.jsl.  It seems to be very close to the intended result, but there are double->int conversions as part of the process that might affect the results slightly.  I would be interested in hearing about how closely this matches the desired effect for your data.

ConradG
Level II

Hi @danschikore ,

Thank you, this was helpful.  I do get pretty close.  So far I get a little slower than actual time with a speed of 6.666 and a bit faster with 6.667.  I'm sure there's an actual decimal point limit somehow.  If I put more or less 6's after the decimal point, I get essentially the same actual speed (i.e. speeds of 6.6, 6.66, and 6.666 give the same (slightly slow) result and 6.67, 6.667, and 6.7 give the same (slightly fast) result.