cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
FN
FN
Level VI

Breakpoint when debugging an application (GUI)

How can I add a breakpoint that stops the execution within an application that has GUI?

For example, only when pressing a button the debugger opens and halts the program in the desired line.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Breakpoint when debugging an application (GUI)

I see now - I was assuming the generic term "application", and not the Application Builder.

The scripts in Application Builder cannot be run stand-alone - when you right click in the script area and choose "Run" or "Debug" it tries to execute the script by itself, without starting a JMPApp instance first.  I would suggest using the red-triangle menu to start the debugging session, which includes the necessary application startup.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

The debugger has to be open before you can set any breakpoints.  I used one of the scripting index ButtonBox examples to demonstrate:

Names Default To Here( 1 );
New Window( "Example",
	Button Box( "press me", <<setFunction(
		Function( {this},
			this << setButtonName( "thanks" )
		)	
	) )
);

Click "Debug Script" from the toolbar, Edit menu, or context-click menu.  In the debugger, context-click on the line within the Button Box function to set a breakpoint, and then click "Run" from the toolbar.  The script will then run without interruption until the button is pressed.

ButtonDebug.png

FN
FN
Level VI

Thanks, but when trying to run any application via a script, I get this error:

Name Unresolved: OnModuleLoad in access or evaluation of 'OnModuleLoad' , OnModuleLoad( {} ) /*###*/

FN_0-1582189306616.png

If you run it from the GUI editor tab (Module1), this error does not appear. Hence, I was not sure how to debug these.

I see now - I was assuming the generic term "application", and not the Application Builder.

The scripts in Application Builder cannot be run stand-alone - when you right click in the script area and choose "Run" or "Debug" it tries to execute the script by itself, without starting a JMPApp instance first.  I would suggest using the red-triangle menu to start the debugging session, which includes the necessary application startup.

FN
FN
Level VI

I was not aware of that option, thank you.

Unfortunately, I get this message when I click "Debug Application":

A time-out encountered while attempting to connect to the JSL Debugger GUI.

FN_0-1582208308258.png

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

SN-55411 may help you get the debugger working.

-Jeff