Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SophieCuvillier
Level III

Bold specific items in a list box

Hello,

I would like to higlight in bold specific values in a list box. Is it possible ?

For instance in the example below, I would like to put in bold only "Second Item"

New Window( "Example",
	fontobj = lb = List Box(
		{"First Item", "Second Item", "Third Item"},
		width( 200 ),
		max selected( 2 ),
		nlines( 6 )
	)
);
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ErraticAttack
Level VI

Re: Bold specific items in a list box

There are many reasons I can think of why bolding / formatting specific entries in a list box could be useful!  I have an app where I allow for quick browsing of my API features in a way very similar to the JMP Scripting Index.  In order to allow for the formatting that helps with visual parsing I've had to re-create list boxes using Table Box and COL Box, wrapped inside of a mouse-box to be able to know which item is being clicked on and perform certain actions based on that (like disallowing certain entries from being selected).

It was a lot of work, but now it is simply a widget that I can embed in any script with one line of code, just like the built-in list box.

The two list boxes in this script are indeed TableBoxes wrapped within a mouse box, but the added ability for individual entry formatting is undeniable. 

ErraticAttack_1-1702673667909.png

@SophieCuvillier , the short answer is no -- JMP does not provide any capabilities for us lowly scripters to modify the individual entries in a list box.  They do have that capability, as the JMP Scripting Index does it with the list boxes they use.

If you're endeavorous you can make TableBoxes behave like a list box, but it does require a bit of work.  I cannot give out my code for it per my companies regulations, but I'd be willing to help answer any questions if needed.

Jordan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jthi
Super User

I think with list boxes you can only set which is selected or style for all the items. Is there a specific reason why you would like to bold single option?

Names Default To Here(1);

nw = New Window("Example",
	lb = List Box(
		{"First Item", "Second Item", "Third Item"},
		width(200),
		max selected(2),
		nlines(6)
	)
);

lb << Set Selected(2);
lb << Set Font Style("Italic Bold Underline");
-Jarmo
ErraticAttack
Level VI

There are many reasons I can think of why bolding / formatting specific entries in a list box could be useful!  I have an app where I allow for quick browsing of my API features in a way very similar to the JMP Scripting Index.  In order to allow for the formatting that helps with visual parsing I've had to re-create list boxes using Table Box and COL Box, wrapped inside of a mouse-box to be able to know which item is being clicked on and perform certain actions based on that (like disallowing certain entries from being selected).

It was a lot of work, but now it is simply a widget that I can embed in any script with one line of code, just like the built-in list box.

The two list boxes in this script are indeed TableBoxes wrapped within a mouse box, but the added ability for individual entry formatting is undeniable. 

ErraticAttack_1-1702673667909.png

@SophieCuvillier , the short answer is no -- JMP does not provide any capabilities for us lowly scripters to modify the individual entries in a list box.  They do have that capability, as the JMP Scripting Index does it with the list boxes they use.

If you're endeavorous you can make TableBoxes behave like a list box, but it does require a bit of work.  I cannot give out my code for it per my companies regulations, but I'd be willing to help answer any questions if needed.

Jordan
hogi
Level XI

wow!

SophieCuvillier
Level III

Hello,

Thank you very much @jthi and you for the answer. I need to highlight certain values in bold because they have a different utility for users than other values and they want to be able to differentiate them visually just by the name displayed.

@ErraticAttack  Your answer helped me a lot, thank you. I'm going to make a box table that mimics the behavior of a box list and bold the values I want in it.

What if you split the list into two lists?

SophieCuvillier
Level III

I need to have all the values (bold and not bold) in the same place, it must be sorted by alphabetical order