cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
natalie_
Level V

Binary Data and Correlations

The other day, I was asking about binary data and correlations.  I had been using the multivariate correlation tool which outputs the correlation coefficients into a matrix.  However, from further research, I don't think using this correlation tool is meaningful for categorical data because it uses the Pearson Product Moment Correlation.  In my data, each value is a 0 or 1 (pass or fail) which is binary data.  I have read that I should use the Phi Coefficient to calculate the correlation for binary numbers.

I have two questions:

1)  Can I interpret the coefficient the same way as the PPMC?  I know that the closer it is to +1, there is a strong positive correlation.  If I square this coefficient, can I still use it to calculate coefficient of determination?

2)  Can I calculate this using JMP?  Is there a way to change the correlation matrix so it calculares this phi coefficient instead of the PPMC?

Thanks, Natalie

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Binary Data and Correlations

Here is a script that collects RSquare (U) and Kappa from all combinations of your binary columns:

Names Default To Here( 1 );

dt# = Current Data Table();
If( Is Empty( dt# ),
	Throw( "Data table missing" )
);

// user choices.
dlg# = Column Dialog(
	Title( "Binary Agreement" ),
	yCol# = Col List( "Binary Columns",
		Min Col( 2 )
	),
	"Select columns for agreement"
);

// check if user decides to quit.
If( dlg#["Button"] == -1,
	Throw( "User cancelled" );
);

// process information returned from dialog.
Remove From( dlg# ); Eval List( dlg# );

n cols# = N Items( yCol# );
r sqr u# = agree# = Identity( n cols# );
measure# = List();
For( col1# = 1, col1# < n cols#, col1#++,
	Insert Into( measure#, yCol#[col1#] << Get Name);
	For( col2# = 2, col2# <= n cols#, col2#++,
		ct# = dt# << Contingency(
			Y( yCol#[col1#] ),
			X( yCol#[col2#] ),
			Contingency Table( 0 ),
			Mosaic Plot( 0 ),
			Tests( 1 ),
			Agreement Statistic( 1 ),
			Invisible
		);
		ctr# = ct# << Report;
		r sqr u#[col1#,col2#] = r sqr u#[col2#,col1#] = ctr#["Tests"][TableBox(1)][NumberColBox(4)][1];
		agree#[col1#,col2#]   = agree#[col2#,col1#]   = ctr#["Kappa Coefficient"][TableBox(1)][NumberColBox(1)][1];
		ct# << Close Window;
	);
);
Insert Into( measure#, yCol#[col1#] << Get Name );

New Window( "Binary Agreement",
	Outline Box( "RSquare (U)",
		tb1 = Table Box(
			String Col Box( "Measure", measure# )
		)
	),
	Outline Box( "Kappa Coefficient",
		tb2 = Table Box(
			String Col Box( "Measure", measure# )
		)
	)
);

For( col# = 1, col# <= n cols#, col#++,
	tb1 << Append(
		Number Col Box( measure#[col#], r sqr u#[0,col#], << Set Format( 7, 4 ) )
	);
	tb2 << Append(
		Number Col Box( measure#[col#], agree#[0,col#], << Set Format( 7, 4 ) )
	);
);
natalie_
Level V

Okay, so I found where to find the Kappa Coefficient; it's under the "Agreement Statistic" table.  The "Agreement Statistic" table only appears when both X and Y variables have the same levels.  What does that mean?  Is there a way to check for this?

More great questions.

It's really just "apples to apples" or "apples to oranges." Also, it is the difference between continuous and categorical data.

If you have a classification of intelligence and another classification of monetary assets, you can use Contingency to see if these variables are associated. (Analogous to correlated with continuous variables.) On the other hand if you had two classifications of intelligence, you could assess the association but you could explore a stricter relationship: agreement. What is the proportion of times both classifications agreed?

We measure the strength of association with the odds ratio. We measure the strength of agreement with Kappa.