cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
drc_lewis
Level II

Best way to work with .jmp files saved on SharePoint

Hello,

Our company uses SharePoint quite extensively for project files, and an increasing number of projects include user's .jmp analysis files. However, when viewing the files in SharePoint the .jmp entries have the "other file type" icon. Of greater concern is when a user loads their file. They are expecting it to behave in a similar way to other Office documents, i.e. when they hit Save in the application it saves a copy back up to the SharePoint location. With .jmp files though Internet Explorer makes a copy of the file to a temporary location on the user's C drive and if the user saves their file it is this temp C drive version which is saved; no update is made back to SharePoint. A number of users have lost work due to this.

I'm assuming that we are not the only company using SharePoint to save .jmp files, so what is the best way to work here? Is it something that we need to do to SharePoint in order for it to recognise .jmp extensions? I'm looking for suggestion which are easy for a typical end user. I imagine that navigating from within JMP to SharePoint would have the desired effect, but this is not the way that people here operate (since they are already looking at their SharePoint page). Are there any Add-Ins that might help?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Many thanks for your time.

3 REPLIES 3
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Best way to work with .jmp files saved on SharePoint

The problem is common to all non-office applications when their files are stored on Sharepoint.  I don't think a JMP add-in is likely to solve the problem.  It may be possible to do it though Sharepoint configuration although I don't think it is straightforward.  But a search on the internet will give you a lot of discussion points.  Here is one:

Open files (not office) from a SharePoint Doc Library in their Native applications - SharePoint Stac...

The answer addresses the issue of associating file types and also direct file access as opposed to via the local file copy.  But both answers have their own hyperlinks and I think you'd need to be a Sharepoint Administrator to understand them!

Dave

-Dave

This is something that I had to address in a previous position.  The solution I used depended on a couple of factors (the type of page and the access level of the person accessing) but in general, if you look at the top of the sharepoint site there is a button that says "View in Explorer."  You can then add the explorer view to your favorites for easy access later.  You can also map sharepoint sites as network drives.  Both options should give you access to files on the site from within JMP. 

Here is a link on how to do both options: https://hubone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200167580-SharePoint-Using-Explorer-View-or-Mapped-Netw...

Another option, if the data is in excel is to just open it with excel and use the Excel Add-in for JMP to pull it in, but that creates a separate copy from the one on the server.

I hope this helps!

Best,

M

John_G
Level II

M,

I'm interested in your reply, but the link you include has since died. "Oops, this help center no longer exists". 

Do you recall any thing more than your reply above please?

Regards

John