Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ZZS
ZZS
Level I

Bar graphs - Please HELP!

I am trying to make bar graphs in JMP as I've done in Excel (I understand these are very different software with different specialties, but I am learning JMP). See examples of the graphs I want to replicate in JMP, attached. I've dug through many tutorials but have not found the solution. 

The first graph (see example "Total Number by Platform") is the total number of 6 different species of whales detected from three different platforms (aerial, vessel and stranding records). 

Total Number by Platform.jpg

The second graph (see example "Species by season") is the number of whales sighted per 100 km flown by season and for each species. 

Species by season.jpg

I've also attached the data in Excel for these two graphs in case anyone can offer guidance. Many thanks in advance! I appreciate your time and help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Bar graphs - Please HELP!

Copy your data into a JMP data table like

txnelson_0-1626226423188.png

Open Graph Builder

Select all 6 Whale columns and drag them to the X drop area

Click on the Bar Chart icon

Drag Season to the X axis drop area

Select all of the whale columns

Drag all of them to the Y axis drop area

txnelson_1-1626226860713.png

The same process is used for the Total by Platform spreadsheet

You need to take time to read the document Essential Graphing from the JMP Documentation Library.  It is available under the Help pull down menu.

The Graph Builder and all of it's power is documented with examples in the document.

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

Copy your data into a JMP data table like

txnelson_0-1626226423188.png

Open Graph Builder

Select all 6 Whale columns and drag them to the X drop area

Click on the Bar Chart icon

Drag Season to the X axis drop area

Select all of the whale columns

Drag all of them to the Y axis drop area

txnelson_1-1626226860713.png

The same process is used for the Total by Platform spreadsheet

You need to take time to read the document Essential Graphing from the JMP Documentation Library.  It is available under the Help pull down menu.

The Graph Builder and all of it's power is documented with examples in the document.

Jim
ZZS
ZZS
Level I

Thank you so much for your guidance and for your prompt reply to my post. I also very much appreciate the suggestion to refer to the Essential Graphing from the JMP Documentation Library. I am reviewing it today! Thanks again for your time and help!!!