cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Thierry_S
Super User

BUG?: JSL > dt << Save As ("$temp\my_file.tsv") yields a Comma-delimited file!

Hi JMP Community,

I came across a possible bug in JMP 16.1.0 for Windows.

When I use the simple command below, I get a comma-delimited file instead of a TAB-delimited file:

Names Default to Here (1);
dt = Current Data Table ();
dt << Save ("$temp\my_file.tsv");

I would not exclude the possibility that I made a mistake, but I cannot figure out why the extension "tsv" is not recognized.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: BUG?: JSL > dt << Save As ("$temp\my_file.tsv") yields a Comma-delimited file!

Curiously, File->SaveAs->TSV works, but produces similar JSL in the log that does not. @Wendy_Murphrey 

(There is also a pref for export that you can change.)

Craige

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: BUG?: JSL > dt << Save As ("$temp\my_file.tsv") yields a Comma-delimited file!

Curiously, File->SaveAs->TSV works, but produces similar JSL in the log that does not. @Wendy_Murphrey 

(There is also a pref for export that you can change.)

Craige
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi Craig,

It is indeed a problem with the preferences which override the file format of all text files saved as tsv.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse

Thank you for reporting this issue.  The behavior has been in JMP for many releases and has been reported to the development team for correction in a future release of JMP. 

Wendy

Greetings all. Here is an update for you on this issue. I can see that some work has been done in this area for JMP 17. Using JSL to save out TSV and CSV will now assume tab-delimited or comma-delimited as appropriate, rather than relying on the text-export settings for those cases. JMP 17 will be available in Fall of 2022, but i wanted to go ahead and let you know that we appreciate feedback in these forums and do try to address issues reported here. Thank you!