cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
sajanjiv
Level I

Analyze trend

Hi 

I am comparing Google search data between 3 cancers as part of a small project, and have the attached file generated from Google trends data. How do I see if the searches for a particular cancer are going up with time?, and if so is the difference in trend significant? Next, can I compare trends between cancers C, P and L (from the attached file)?

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: Analyze trend

The first issue I see with this request is that it looks very much like a homework assignment.  Please excuse my assumption if it is not.

The second issue, is that your "Month: column has been input as a character column.  For any analysis across time this column needs to be changed to being numeric.

Jim
sajanjiv
Level I

Thanks Tx. This is not a homework assignment. I am a Gastroenterology
fellow and way older than homework days unfortunately...

Sure. Please feel free to change the column to numeric if the analysis
requires.
pmroz
Super User

The code below adds a numeric date column (assumes 1st of every month) and creates a graph using Graph Builder.

dt = data table("CancerIS_JMP");

dt << New Column( "Month Dt",
		Numeric,
		"Continuous",
		Format( "ddMonyyyy", 10 ),
		Input Format( "ddMonyyyy" ),
		Formula( Informat( :Month || "-01", "yyyy-mm-dd" ) )
);

gb = dt << Graph Builder(
	Size( 530, 452 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :Month Dt ), Y( :IS ), Overlay( :Cancer Type ) ),
	Elements( Line( X, Y, Legend( 15 ) ), Points( X, Y, Legend( 16 ) ) )
);

IS_graph.png

You can do a visual inspection to see there are any upward trends.  If you need something more quantitative you could fit a model.