cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mvanderaa1
Level IV

Analysis platform legend format is completely messed up after exporting journal

What I often would like to do from an analysis platform is saving an image directly to my hard disk.

My annoyance is that using the edit -> copy graph option does not allow me to this.

The best option I can currently think of (other than actual screenshots) is sending an individual selection to a journal and then export the journal as an image. This seems like a cumbersome step for a single image however.

So I figured if I want multiple figures from a platform I would send them to a journal and then export the journal as ppt so that I can later use the individual images in my reports. However, when I export a journal to ppt the layout of the legend is completely destroyed.

Any help is appreciated, I attached my journal for your reference.

Graph in journal

mvanderaa1_0-1669199620395.png

Output in ppt after exporting

mvanderaa1_1-1669199648799.png

mvanderaa1_2-1669199663015.png

6 REPLIES 6
statman
Super User

Re: Analysis platform legend format is completely messed up after exporting journal

I'm sure others will give you some ideas.  If you right click on the graph and go to edit>copy graph, this should allow you to paste the graph into another program.

What I do is export the journal as an rtf document, open in Word and then re-size/format in Word.  When you export to PPT, it puts every graph/pic on a separate page and hence the mixed up legend.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
mvanderaa1
Level IV

Re: Analysis platform legend format is completely messed up after exporting journal

Exporting to rtf results in the same unreadable format. This split between legend and graph is clearly unwanted behavior for most use cases of journal exports; I don't see when this output would be useful.

mvanderaa1_1-1669278587594.png

Another method, if you're just looking to put one graph into a slideshow or other document:

1. Use the selection tool in JMP (s) to select only what you want in another document (highlighted in blue below)
    1. Jed_Campbell_0-1669217378685.png

2. In the target application/document, select Paste Special...
    1. PNG or BMP will paste at the same resolution (fine for most slideshows)
    2. Metafile formats paste scalable graphics (great for printed media and zooming in)
mvanderaa1
Level IV

thanks for the replies, however to reiterate my most common use case:

What I often would like to do from an analysis platform is saving an image directly to my hard disk.

This shouldn't be a big ask in my opinion. So far it seems my current method of sending the selection to a journal and then exporting the journal to image format is the only way.

I suppose this step could be automated and turned into an addin.

So a script for opening a journal in the background, copying the current selection to it and export it as an image. I'd give it a try but I'm sure other people are more proficient in creating it.

statman
Super User

Hmmm, we gave you a couple of options only one of which is the journal approach.  Perhaps I don't understand what you want?  Right click on the image Edit>Copy Graph and save it to wherever you want. It is in the computer clipboard.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box

You can also directly save the window as an image. This script illustrates how you might do it. You could make a script and create an add-in or a new menu command or toolbar button. You could ask the user for a path and filename.

Names Default to Here( 1 );

// open example
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

// launch a platform, save a reference to it, but don't use it
platform = dt << Life Distribution( Y( :weight ) );

// save a picture of the platform in the current report window
Current Report() << Save Picture( "$DESKTOP/Platform.png", "png" );