cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
avolp
Level I

Analysis between multiple tables

Hello,

I'm relatively new to JMP so was wondering if there are two tables with an identical column in each (Col A from Table 1 == Col A from Table 2), is there a way to do analysis between Col B from T1 and Col B from T2 without concatenating them?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Analysis between multiple tables

Looks like a virtual join will do what you want here, assuming I am understanding the question correctly.

If Col A is an ID, which can link tables A and B, right click on the the Col A column in Table A and check "Link ID" (must be unique).

In Table B right click on the Col A column and navigate to link reference and then select the path of Table A.

A small gold key will show up in Table A:Col A, indicating that it is a Link ID and two keys will show up in Table B:Col A, indicating that it is a link reference. 

Now in Table B you can execute an analysis like Fit Y by X and be able to analyze Col B in Table B and Col B in Table A without concatinating them. Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 10.59.52 AM.png

Here is the resulting analysis. Col B in Table B is on the X axis and Col B of Table A is on the Y, linked together by the Col A IDs. Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 11.01.25 AM.pngThere is a chance that this is not what you mean, too. If you simply want to apply the same analysis in Table B as you did in Table A you can save the script of a platfrom to the data table (platform little red triangle -> save script -> to data table..) and then copy and paste it to Table B. Then when you click the play button in Table B the same analysis will be run (since you have the same column names).

Connect with me on LinkedIn: https://bit.ly/3MWgiXt

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Looks like a virtual join will do what you want here, assuming I am understanding the question correctly.

If Col A is an ID, which can link tables A and B, right click on the the Col A column in Table A and check "Link ID" (must be unique).

In Table B right click on the Col A column and navigate to link reference and then select the path of Table A.

A small gold key will show up in Table A:Col A, indicating that it is a Link ID and two keys will show up in Table B:Col A, indicating that it is a link reference. 

Now in Table B you can execute an analysis like Fit Y by X and be able to analyze Col B in Table B and Col B in Table A without concatinating them. Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 10.59.52 AM.png

Here is the resulting analysis. Col B in Table B is on the X axis and Col B of Table A is on the Y, linked together by the Col A IDs. Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 11.01.25 AM.pngThere is a chance that this is not what you mean, too. If you simply want to apply the same analysis in Table B as you did in Table A you can save the script of a platfrom to the data table (platform little red triangle -> save script -> to data table..) and then copy and paste it to Table B. Then when you click the play button in Table B the same analysis will be run (since you have the same column names).

Connect with me on LinkedIn: https://bit.ly/3MWgiXt
avolp
Level I

Yes this is what I meant. thank you

Hi Avolp,
Yes, you can. In JMP 13 there is a feature called virtual joins that will allow this. Here is a link to learn more about virtual joins.
https://www.jmp.com/support/help/13/Virtually_Join_Data_Tables.shtml
Best,
Chris
Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com