cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AlexandruS
Level I

Adding specific data points with labels to a contour plot

Hello Community,

I am relatively new to jmp and have a contour plot question.

I have performed 20 experiments whose design was central composite. I fitted a response surface model to my data.

I then used the model to generate predictions over my entire deisgn space. I then did a contour plot of the predictions. 

Is there a way I could add my experimental data points, say marked with an x, to the contour plot. Is there also a way I could label these data points with the value of the dependent variable I found in my experiments?

Attached is an image I drew in paint to illustrate what I want to do. I do not know how to program so a reply with menu selections and/or screen shoots would be most helpful. Thank you very muchwhat I want to do.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Adding specific data points with labels to a contour plot

Hi @AlexandruS,

Welcome to the community! This one is a bit of doozy for a new JMP user because we're going to have to do lots of JMP scripting, but here we go:

I assume you're viewing the contour profiler in Fit Model and not in a separate custom profiler.  Either way, the same general steps apply.  I'm using the Custom RSM sample data set from the sample data library.

Start by opening a new script and create a variable reference to your data table.  Here, I'm just opening the Custom RSM table.

dt = Open("$Sample_Data\Design Experiment\Custom RSM.jmp");

You need to get the script for the report that contains your profiler.  If it's from Fit Model, the script will be something like Fit Model(Y(:Y), Effects(...),...);  We need to get a reference to the report window so we can customize the contents of the profiler.  Here's how I did it with the Custom RSM example:

rpt = (
	dt << Fit Model(
		Y( :Y ),
		Effects(
			:X1 & RS,
			:X2 & RS,
			:X3 & RS,
			:X1 * :X1,
			:X1 * :X2,
			:X2 * :X2,
			:X1 * :X3,
			:X2 * :X3,
			:X3 * :X3
		),
		Personality( "Standard Least Squares" ),
		Emphasis( "Effect Screening" ),
		Run(
			Contour Profiler(
				Term Value(
					X1( 0, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) ),
					X2( 0, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) ),
					X3( 0, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) )
				),
				Contour Value( Y( 62.703, Min( 52.5 ), Max( 75 ) ) ),
				Grid Density( "40 x 40" ),
				Contour Grid( 50, 80, 5, Y ),
				Horizontal Factor( :X1 ),
				Vertical Factor( :X2 ),
				Y Colors( 21 ),
				Up Dots( 0 )
			),
			:Y << {Summary of Fit( 1 ), Analysis of Variance( 1 ),
			Parameter Estimates( 1 ), Effect Details( 0 ), Sorted Estimates( 0 ),
			Scaled Estimates( 0 ), Plot Actual by Predicted( 1 ), Plot Regression( 0 ),
			Plot Residual by Predicted( 1 ), Plot Residual by Row( 1 ),
			Plot Studentized Residuals( 0 ), Plot Effect Leverage( 0 ),
			Box Cox Y Transformation( 1 ), Show VIF( 1 )}
		)
	)
) << Report;

Notice I preceded the Fit Model script with "rpt = (dt <<" and then put this on the back-end: ") << Report;".  The variable "rpt" now contains a reference to the report window for Fit Model.

Next, we need to get the values of the variables you are plotting in the Contour Profiler.  In my example, the 2 variables are x1 and x2.  I also need the Y values for my point labels.

//plotted points
x1_vals = :x1 << Get Values;
x2_vals = :x2 << Get Values;

//values used in labels
y_vals = :y << Get Values;

Now, I can add a graphics script to plot the points and text inside the profiler like so:

rpt["Contour Profiler"][FrameBox(1)] << Add Graphics Script(
	Marker(x1_vals, x2_vals);
	for(i=1,i<=N Row(dt),i++,
		text(eval list({x1_vals[i],x2_vals[i]+0.05}),char(y_vals[i]));
	)
);

The stuff in brackets help me navigate down the display tree to get to the framebox that contains the plot.  I use Marker() to add the points.  I use the loop to add the labels.

The final result looks like this:ContourPoints.PNG

Notice that I have a few points and labels plotted on top of each other because I have a third factor, X3.  We could further customize this to prevent the labels from being on top of each other, but you'd probably also want to add the value for x3 to all these labels as well.  Basically, this solution doesn't scale very well for more than 2 factors, but if you only have 2, this should work really well.

-- Cameron Willden

View solution in original post

AlexandruS
Level I

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't not able to understand the scripting. But I did figure out a way to do it. I created my contour plots with contour plot from the graph menu. I also created scatter plots of my independent variables. I copied the frame contents from the scatter plot into the contor plots. Then I manually labelled the points with text annotations.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @AlexandruS,

Welcome to the community! This one is a bit of doozy for a new JMP user because we're going to have to do lots of JMP scripting, but here we go:

I assume you're viewing the contour profiler in Fit Model and not in a separate custom profiler.  Either way, the same general steps apply.  I'm using the Custom RSM sample data set from the sample data library.

Start by opening a new script and create a variable reference to your data table.  Here, I'm just opening the Custom RSM table.

dt = Open("$Sample_Data\Design Experiment\Custom RSM.jmp");

You need to get the script for the report that contains your profiler.  If it's from Fit Model, the script will be something like Fit Model(Y(:Y), Effects(...),...);  We need to get a reference to the report window so we can customize the contents of the profiler.  Here's how I did it with the Custom RSM example:

rpt = (
	dt << Fit Model(
		Y( :Y ),
		Effects(
			:X1 & RS,
			:X2 & RS,
			:X3 & RS,
			:X1 * :X1,
			:X1 * :X2,
			:X2 * :X2,
			:X1 * :X3,
			:X2 * :X3,
			:X3 * :X3
		),
		Personality( "Standard Least Squares" ),
		Emphasis( "Effect Screening" ),
		Run(
			Contour Profiler(
				Term Value(
					X1( 0, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) ),
					X2( 0, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) ),
					X3( 0, Lock( 0 ), Show( 1 ) )
				),
				Contour Value( Y( 62.703, Min( 52.5 ), Max( 75 ) ) ),
				Grid Density( "40 x 40" ),
				Contour Grid( 50, 80, 5, Y ),
				Horizontal Factor( :X1 ),
				Vertical Factor( :X2 ),
				Y Colors( 21 ),
				Up Dots( 0 )
			),
			:Y << {Summary of Fit( 1 ), Analysis of Variance( 1 ),
			Parameter Estimates( 1 ), Effect Details( 0 ), Sorted Estimates( 0 ),
			Scaled Estimates( 0 ), Plot Actual by Predicted( 1 ), Plot Regression( 0 ),
			Plot Residual by Predicted( 1 ), Plot Residual by Row( 1 ),
			Plot Studentized Residuals( 0 ), Plot Effect Leverage( 0 ),
			Box Cox Y Transformation( 1 ), Show VIF( 1 )}
		)
	)
) << Report;

Notice I preceded the Fit Model script with "rpt = (dt <<" and then put this on the back-end: ") << Report;".  The variable "rpt" now contains a reference to the report window for Fit Model.

Next, we need to get the values of the variables you are plotting in the Contour Profiler.  In my example, the 2 variables are x1 and x2.  I also need the Y values for my point labels.

//plotted points
x1_vals = :x1 << Get Values;
x2_vals = :x2 << Get Values;

//values used in labels
y_vals = :y << Get Values;

Now, I can add a graphics script to plot the points and text inside the profiler like so:

rpt["Contour Profiler"][FrameBox(1)] << Add Graphics Script(
	Marker(x1_vals, x2_vals);
	for(i=1,i<=N Row(dt),i++,
		text(eval list({x1_vals[i],x2_vals[i]+0.05}),char(y_vals[i]));
	)
);

The stuff in brackets help me navigate down the display tree to get to the framebox that contains the plot.  I use Marker() to add the points.  I use the loop to add the labels.

The final result looks like this:ContourPoints.PNG

Notice that I have a few points and labels plotted on top of each other because I have a third factor, X3.  We could further customize this to prevent the labels from being on top of each other, but you'd probably also want to add the value for x3 to all these labels as well.  Basically, this solution doesn't scale very well for more than 2 factors, but if you only have 2, this should work really well.

-- Cameron Willden
AlexandruS
Level I

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't not able to understand the scripting. But I did figure out a way to do it. I created my contour plots with contour plot from the graph menu. I also created scatter plots of my independent variables. I copied the frame contents from the scatter plot into the contor plots. Then I manually labelled the points with text annotations.