cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

ARIMA Time Series by ACF, PACF

How do you use the time series ACF and PACF plots to suggest the nonseasonal and seasonal AR components of the ARIMA model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: ARIMA Time Series by ACF, PACF

Generally I look at these plots to see which lag(s) have the highest correlation coefficients to help determine differencing order for the AR component and seasonal interval if I'm contemplating some sort of seasonal ARIMA model. I also try to use some process knowledge to validate, in a non-statistical sense, my differencing and seasonal interval guesses. For example...if I were monitoring temperature in my home, controlled by a thermostat, on a minute by minute basis, I'd suspect a differencing order close to 1 to be the best. If I were monitoring my home's monthly natural gas consumption, I'm guessing that a seasonal lag component would be 12 months out in time. Seriesg.jmp in the JMP Sample Data Directory is a good sample data set to illustrate these concepts.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Generally I look at these plots to see which lag(s) have the highest correlation coefficients to help determine differencing order for the AR component and seasonal interval if I'm contemplating some sort of seasonal ARIMA model. I also try to use some process knowledge to validate, in a non-statistical sense, my differencing and seasonal interval guesses. For example...if I were monitoring temperature in my home, controlled by a thermostat, on a minute by minute basis, I'd suspect a differencing order close to 1 to be the best. If I were monitoring my home's monthly natural gas consumption, I'm guessing that a seasonal lag component would be 12 months out in time. Seriesg.jmp in the JMP Sample Data Directory is a good sample data set to illustrate these concepts.

Ok, thx. This works.

Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Glad to help!