Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Toniato
Level I

DOE Application for Multiple Responses Aiming N&V Reduction in Electric Motors for Appliance Market (2021-US-EPO-931)

Level: Intermediate

Danilo Toniato, Engineer, WEG
Andre Caron Zanezi, Engineer, WEG

Faced with a vast and competitive field, appliance manufacturers are constantly seeking for quality improvement, aiming to meet the needs of an increasingly demanding market. A reflection of this requirement can be observed in the progressively restricted specifications to the sound power level (NWS) emitted by the product. To meet and exceed customers' expectations, this work addresses the use of design of experiments (DOE) to analyze multiple electromechanical characteristics and its respective relation to motor noise across the frequency spectrum, specifically in washing machines. Using Graph Builder and DOE in JMP to better fit models to perform these analyses, it was possible to define the most significant factors for reducing noise without impacting motor manufacture costs.

Auto-generated transcript...

Speaker

Transcript

Janice LeBeau, JMP Good morning.
  Good morning, Nice to meet you.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Nice to meet you too, I don't see your face yet didn't either.
  Oh i'm so sorry.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Are you.
  i'm great, thank you for us to endure.
Janice LeBeau, JMP i'm doing well, thank you.
  See I hope this is okay with you i've started the recording and then they'll go in and Edit it and take out all of our pre conversation but there's just a few things that I want to go through with you, if that's okay.
  Okay perfect.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Okay, and.
  let's see I introduced myself janice about i'm going to be doing a recording for you today, and I wanted to make sure that you are okay with us recording this, as we will be posting it in the descent discovery summit archives junk community.
  See here okay just need to ask you if your cell phone and computer notifications are silent.
  Yes, yeah.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Okay, all your fans heaters, and anything else distracting you might want to turn off.
  No.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Okay let's see what else department okay.
  Solid colors no logos no jewelry okay um did you want to keep on your name badge.
  i'm fine I mean you look you look very nice this morning okay and i'm your presenters display set tonight to 20 by 10 at.
  Did you auto hide the windows taskbar.
  You want to hide anything that might pop up on your screen because you'll be sharing your screen for your presentation.
  You might want to close outlook and Skype.
  I see one second.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Okay, great and so.
  What we'll go ahead and do is um i'll do a countdown for you, and when I get to one i'll go ahead and mute myself and turn off my camera.
  And then you can start your presentation by introducing yourself, you want to go ahead and share your screen and there's no you don't have any one else joining you today right.
  No is only.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Okay, great Where are you doing it, how do you save it into Nina.
  Yes, exactly I am from Brazil, I mean, is it or.
  Is it small district they're not not real DJ.
Janice LeBeau, JMP So you're in Rio right now in that area.
  I north.
Janice LeBeau, JMP awesome that is awesome Oh, I always wanted to go there, that is so awesome.
  To see some amazing.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Oh, I can, and the people are beautiful the food is wonderful.
  Well, I wish you all the best with your presentation, do you feel comfortable do you need anything from me.
  No, no, every time Thank you so much for asking.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Okay, and then, if you want to like when you are through you just want to say, well, this can come concludes my presentation i'll wait for a couple of seconds and then i'll i'll turn off the recording for you.
  Okay okay well good.
  yo share my screen one second.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Okay, you might want to do that make sure it's all set.
  Okay.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Okay perfect well i'm going to go ahead, then and stop my video and then i'll are you ready for my 54321 countdown.
  Okay, good all right, well, here we go 54321.
  Hello everyone.
  My name is Danilo Toniato. I'm a mechanical engineer and PhD student. And today, I will be presenting a work that was performed aiming improve the vibro-acoustic characteristics of [???] motors for the appliance line.
  it's undeniable that the market and the consumers are increasingly demanding with the products, especially when it comes to noise in their home appliances segment.
  After all, when we get home from an exhausting day at work, what do we usually want is to have a quiet peaceful night with our significant other.
  So main to exceed our customers expectations we [???] started to mitigate the noise generated by our electrical motors. Of course, our second objective is no product cost is increased and all this through a DOE analysis to help us. So, shall we begin?
  Originally we analyze the magnitude spectrograms of reference motors, and according to the user experiences during the operation, of these motors, in application. We listed the frequencies that are more critical, more uncomfortable for the users auditory sensation
  Also we establish our working ranges, which in this case were mainly concentrated in the 480hz region. We identify through the research literature, what is the main root cause and what are the main factors that could minimize such noise.
  In possession of this information a DOE, as you can see here,
  was developed so that we can quantify the influence of these variables. I'm sorry.
  And so that we can define and reduce levels at which our prospects can deliver a product which is good capability and gathering noise levels, without interfering with any other electrical mechanical characteristics.
  And maybe without burdening our final consumer.
  All together there were four continuous numerical factors in a block and [???] factors for our DOE.
  The results were very positive. And, we are able to achieve the noise and vibration levels desired. Actually, the factors proven to be significant but only are the frequencies of the interest as we expected.
  We achieve a reduction of approximately 60% in the vibration levels. As we can see here in the variability plot of the JMP, and here I have my.
  left of the screen, we can see by the analysis about the variance of doing the Fit Model of the JMP model that the only significant the factors we can choose for our DOE in the frequencies of the interests like 480hz.
  And is not relevant for any other purposes.
  And the reduction in noise levels proven to be even more [???] as we can see here.
  And even more significant when comparing we compare the surface plot here.
  This first graph is our initial results before the DOE analysis. And the second plot is the best condition we obtain achieve in the DOE. And the colored frequency line is the best condition the frequencies that even are critical for our consumers experience.
  In conclusion, we are able to understand which of these factors listed in the research literature were the most significant. Meaning, which combination of these factors and the respective levels
  would the meet the market needs optimizing our process, optimizing our product and minimizing our production costs.
  This automation that I was talking about was performed using the Profiler tool in the Fit Model model and subsequently was validated with the production of a larger scale batch.
  Now, in, then I would like to thank you for watching and our often hard work team and the sponsor they were essentials, to the conclusion of the work, thank you.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Okay, thank you so that concluded your presentation, then.
  Yes.
  Was.
Janice LeBeau, JMP very nice um.
  Were you just to do 10 minutes daniella.
  i'm sorry.
Janice LeBeau, JMP About 10 minutes right.
  Yes, 10 minutes if you stay massively time that was planned.
  I try to reach seven minutes.
  Okay.
Comments
klm123

Thanks for sharing your work. In my opinion, it may help the audience understand more clearly if you could also share 'how you performed the optimization in Profiler', and show the profiler chart with the levels of factors that helped to optimize the noise vs cost.

Toniato

Hello, @klm123. Thank you for the feedback and suggestion, I appreciate it. I will add this information on the presentation for tomorrow!

klm123

Thanks @Toniato

Article Tags
Contributors