cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

JSL Debugger Won't Launch

Whenever I try and launch the JSL Debugger (from JMP 10 - not Pro) I get a note saying:

Time out encountered attempting to connect to the JSL Debugger GUI

Do I need to connect to an external server to launch the JSL Debugger?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: JSL Debugger Won't Launch

Thanks to testing assistance from several JMP users ( mjdeez, kevin.hankins and others), we were able to confirm that various VPN and firewall settings may block launching of the JSL Debugger. In these instances, you will see the following error message:

Time out encountered attempting to connect to the JSL Debugger GUI.

To resolve this issue, you will need to contact your local IT staff to review and adjust your VPN and firewall settings to allow application access for JMP.exe to the host.  Specifying a set of ports in the settings is not sufficient, as a new set of ports is selected each time the JSL Debugger is launched.   Keep in mind that these settings may need to be updated in the future when a new version of JMP is installed.

I hope this information is helpful.

Wendy

See also JMP Usage Note 55411.

Wendy

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

I have the same problem on my first try to use the Debugger.

mikedriscoll
Level VI

I had this problem on JMP 11.2.0 on my last PC (Win XP and also Win8 after I switched over), and now again on JMP11.2.0 on my current PC (Win8). I might have had the same problem in JMP 10.x as well; I don't recall.  All were non-pro JMP editions. I mentioned it to some of the JMP folks at the JMP summit in September. They told me to contact tech support.  I've been too busy; haven't contacted them.  I'll be watching this thread though.

-Mike

XanGregg
Staff

The JSL debugger starts another process that communicates with JMP via sockets. Some OS configurations may disallow that as a security issue. Tech support should know the common cases and possible workarounds.

stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi,

See similar thread  JSL Debugger will not launch 11.2.0 and options to investigate. Craige@JMP mentioned some security options that could be enabled that are preventing JMP from communicating.

Stan

mikedriscoll
Level VI

I opened up a ticket with JMP tech support and as part of that discussion, my firewall settings were questioned (my company's settings, I should say). I mentioned the problem to our IT group. We temporarily disabled the McAfee firewall and the debugger was able to load just fine. Further testing was done to figure out a permanent workaround on our end. Specifically we opened up the firewall console, put it in learn mode, then adaptive mode, and tried running the debugger in both cases. Then I took the log file which showed what was being blocked, and forwarded it to IT so they can (hopefully) implement a workaround. I'll post back when I have an update.

galactus3000
Level IV

Having significant issues with this and hoping next revision of JMP fixes it (was hoping it'd be fixed in JMP 13.1.0.

My company's IT department has bigger fish to fry than poking holes in the firewall for a piece of software that only a fraction of employees use.

Please fix in next revision.  Shouldn't have to tweak firewalls to use the Debugger.

Thanks to testing assistance from several JMP users ( mjdeez, kevin.hankins and others), we were able to confirm that various VPN and firewall settings may block launching of the JSL Debugger. In these instances, you will see the following error message:

Time out encountered attempting to connect to the JSL Debugger GUI.

To resolve this issue, you will need to contact your local IT staff to review and adjust your VPN and firewall settings to allow application access for JMP.exe to the host.  Specifying a set of ports in the settings is not sufficient, as a new set of ports is selected each time the JSL Debugger is launched.   Keep in mind that these settings may need to be updated in the future when a new version of JMP is installed.

I hope this information is helpful.

Wendy

See also JMP Usage Note 55411.

Wendy
mikedriscoll
Level VI

Huge thanks to Wendy, Bobby, and the developer at JMP who helped troubleshoot this for me. I confirmed it on a test case that Wendy's solution works, and my company's IT staff is implementing this firewall update.

-Mike

Ressel
Level VI

Hm, this is still an issue, apparently. The fix still works? (If not, I need to update the background info in my local IT support ticket.)