cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JMP Book Club sessions

I hope you are all ready for the JMP Book Club on The Confidence Code, by Katty Kay and Claire Shipman. We had such a good response that we are offering five sessions, so you can choose a day of week and time of day that works for you. The book club will run every two weeks starting the week of May 23. That's the weeks of May 23, June 6, June 20, and July 4. The groups will discuss two chapters per week. You can pick one of the following sessions:

Session 1: Wednesdays, 11 am US Eastern time (5 pm CET)

Session 2: Wednesdays, 5 pm US Eastern time

Session 3: Thursdays, 4 pm US Eastern time

Session 4: Fridays, 12 noon Malaysia time

Session 5: Fridays, 8 am US Eastern time (2 pm CET)

To sign up for a session, either email me (Di Michelson) or reply to this post. I'll let your session leader know and you'll receive an email from them next week with a Zoom link.

Comments

Thank you, Di, for organizing!  I have been enjoying this book very much and I look forward to discussing it with everyone.

I agree, thanks a lot for organizing! I'd be happy to join the Fridays 8am sessions - though I'll be missing the first one.

Hi @Di_Michelson, I'd like to participate on Thursdays session at 4p ET.  Appreciated.

nina_chan

I'd like to join the Friday 8 am sessions

JessieA

Please include me in the Wednesday at 11 sessions.  Thanks!

Praveena

Hello @Di_Michelson , Please include me in the Wednesday 11am sessions. Thank you.

I wil be glad to join at  8 am on Fridays

tkeller

Please include me for Session 5: Fridays, 8 am US Eastern time (2 pm CET), thanks so much!

Meg_Hermes

Thanks for organizing this, @Di_Michelson ! If possible, I'd like to join the Wednesday 11am sessions. Thanks!

May I join the sessions on Wednesdays at 11?

Agathe

Thanks for organising @Di_Michelson, I’d like to join the Friday 8am sessions. Can’t wait to start reading.

LauraCS

Coming in a bit late but I would love to catch up and join the Friday 8am sessions, @Di_Michelson. Thanks for organizing!!

I recommend the book Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus for anyone looking for a great book about a female scientist. It's fiction, but lots of fun and very interesting. Super main character. 

I meant to post here too - I enjoyed x + y: A Mathematician's Manifesto for Rethinking Gender by Eugenia Chang. She talks about how to reframe the male/female dichotomy with more of an individual/group thinking two-dimensional scale. She's a mathematician, and the statistician in me really wants to look at factor analysis models to support her thinking.

Both of those books sound interesting!  Our group also offered these:

Fierce Self-Compassion: How Women Can Harness Kindness to Speak Up, Claim Their Power, and Thrive

Womenomics (same authors as Confidence Code)

Bitch: On the Female of the Species (I recently read a great review of this one).

Sharon2

Hi,

Please include me in the Thursday sessions

Session 3: Thursdays, 4 pm US Eastern time

Thank you,

Sharon

trish_roth

For those reading Bitch: On the Female of the Species

Found a podcast with Lucy Cooke discussing the book that so far is a great recap in her own words. 

Part of "The Dissenter" series with Ricardo Lopes.

#713 Lucy Cooke - Bitch: On the Female of the Species - Bing video