cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ryandewitt
Community Manager Community Manager
OSISoft Pi Server Import

Do you have any real-time or time series data? Do you have a data historian on staff? If you answered yes to any of these, you might appreciate our new OSI Pi import in JMP 17. Our product management and amazing developers wanted to increase the ability to get to the rich data sources your organization may have to enrich its models. And just like the JMP Query Builder doesn't force the scientists or engineers into being a SQL programmers, we wanted to make getting at the data to solve their problems as easy as file open. Imagine you've got a JMP table, and you just easily open that OSI Pi Data into JMP and start working with those data. And it works just like the other JMP capabilities, like Google Sheets, workflow builder, query builder, or with the HTTP request to easily work with data through APIs. And now, with OSISoft PI we have a drag-and-drop interactive interface for getting at those data. And many of our organizations have Pi servers that collect time series data. In the past, it's been hard to get to you because you've either had to work with an IT department, or you needed an add-on interface, or you had to work directly with the API and write that function call code. Now it's really easy, and anyone that wishes to enrich JMP models with OSI Pi Data can start to do that by navigating to File > Database → Import from OSIsoft PI Server

I also asked my colleague @Byron_JMP  if he could explain how this may streamline the OSI PI JMP Import process.  "Each field in the PI server is called a tag. All the tags are defined in another table, a big metadata table. one of the setting says not to record a new value unless the value changes by a defined increment. for example, I take a measurement ever 30 sec, but only if the temperature changes by more than 1 degree. All day the temp sits at 37C, so for the whole day I only record one value in the database. That night the temp drops to 30C so I record 36, 35, 34, 32, 31, 30, but only when the temp crosses those thresholds, and my measurement is within about 30 sec of when it happened. Later I want to plot temperature vs. illumination. Illumination gets recorded at 5 min intervals regardless of the change in illumination. Interpolating the time scales so that I can plot temp vs. illumination can be difficult, so this interpolate and plot drop down option in JMP is a game changer."

Last Modified: Feb 22, 2024 11:33 AM
Comments