cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Becksterg
Staff
New JMP Certification tests your JSL skills

Are you a JSL master? Take the JMP Certification exam on JSL.Are you a JSL master? Take the JMP Certification exam on JSL.

Do you use JMP Scripting Language (JSL) in your job? Do you consider yourself to be a JSL master? If you want to test and show your skills using JSL, there's a new certification available. It's the new exam for JMP Scripting Language using JMP 14!

When you take the JMP certification exam, you access JMP to perform a variety of scripting and programming tasks using JSL.

Successful candidates are able to:

• Utilize all JSL elements to design and build a script, end-to-end.
  • Identify required data sources and then import data from a variety of sources/platforms.
  • Clean and transform data.
  • Use messages, functions and expressions to create new data tables and columns, control analyses, and capture or modify reports.
  • Create and use dialog boxes to adapt the behavior of a script.
  • Create a custom report using New Window and display boxes.
  • Perform programming concepts: looping, error handling, namespaces, including other scripts, data structures, name resolution, conditional logic.
  • Build a script framework that allows for conducting the required analysis, reporting and visualization of data.

Complete information about this credential and exam is on the SAS US Certification website.

What questions do you have about this certification? Leave me a comment or question here. For general questions, you can email certification@sas.com.

Last Modified: Jun 29, 2018 1:09 PM
Comments
ian_jmp
Staff

Does the fact that it's the 'SAS US Certification' website mean that one has to reside in the US to take the exam, please?

Becksterg
Staff

Hello,

No it does not.  The exam is available at Pearson VUE test centers globally and it is offered through SAS Country offices as well by request.  It is available globally now.  The information was pushed to the US website first and over the next two to three weeks the information will be added to all the other global websites. 

Hope this helps and good luck to you if you decide to challenge the exam.

d_barnett
Level IV

As the title is 'JMP Scripting Language using JMP 14' does this mean the certification is only valid if iwe use v14 and we'd need to re-sit when we get further versions?

Becksterg
Staff

Hello,

Thank you for your question.  All of our certification credentials never expire once you have earned them.  With that being said, we do examine how a new software release will impact an exam.  When a new release comes out we work with subject matter experts to have them review our item banks to determine if the new release impacts questions from a technical perspective or if the new release impacts our questions in a way where they are no longer valid.  Depending on the outcome of that careful analysis, we make a determination if the exam needs to be refreshed and if the version number needs to be changed.  We then do some careful planning to make sure that we phase out the old exam in a thoughtful manner when we cut in the new exam.  As I mentioned our credentials never expire but we do update exams if we determine the impact of a new software release on our exam content is great enough to warrant a newly refreshed exam.  I hope this helps to clarify and answer your question. 

jerryspilTC
Level III

I still have a licensed JMP13, can I use this to practice and study? I'm afraid if I take JMP14 then some syntax changes.. which always does change. Is there a documentation pointing out the differences from prev to new software version in terms of JSL syntax & other scripting rules.

ian_jmp
Staff

The JMP 14 new features documentation should help you (look for the 'Scripting' section). Also see the relevant release note.

I'm not familiar with all the details of current exam (and, as the thread already shows, this may actually change slightly, and in a controlled way, over time). But, FWIW, knowing the intent of the course and the incremental changes between JMP 13 and 14, I personally would expect that practice and study using JMP 13 would be perfectly fine.

Marcus
Level I

Are there additional sample questions or study guides than what is on the website for the JMP Scripting certification? I’d like to make sure I am well prepared before attempting the test.

Becksterg
Staff

Hello Marcus,

There is no formal study guide for this exam, however, the website does offer a very detailed description of the testing objectives covered on the exam.  I would suggest using it as your guide for studying.  In addition, I might also suggest taking a look at the publication "Jump into JMP Scripting 2nd Edition".  It's a very comprehensive book that covers many of the same topics tested on the exam.  It gives lots of good examples as well. 

Good luck to you in your studies.

bedrie
Level I

Hello,

I think the "Programming > Handle or Address run-time errors" section of the "Exam Content Guide" is erroneously copied from the "Working with Data Tables > Open JMP data tables and import data from Excel and relational databases" section, so it is missing. Can you correct it? I intend to take the exam and this is the only preparation material I could find.

Thank you.

guide.jpg

Becksterg
Staff

Hello, 

Thank you for your comments.  I have placed a ticket with our web services team to make the correction to the exam content outline.  

It should read as follows for your own reference: 

Programming:  (35%)

• Handle or Address run-time errors. 
    • Analyze errors that appear and determine the root cause

Thanks again and I hope this helps.   

Best of luck to your in your studies. 

ThuongLe
Level IV

Hi Becksterg,

I'm still not clear about why we need JMP certification. Please give me some thoughts on this.

jay_holavarri
Level III

I decided to take the JSL test and had a negative experience that other non-SAS engineers may benefit from if they are considering the remote-proctored exam (as opposed to going to a brick-and-mortar test location proctored by live humans).

Pearson Vue, the company that proctors the test, is quite adamant about not helping get their software to work on your work PC. They strongly encourage you to use a personal PC. For me this meant I could not take the test at work. With Covid and working from home, I didn't think that would be a big deal; but when you take the remotely proctored test you cannot have any papers, books, writing instruments, or a white board in the room. You also can't have anyone walk in. (Hello, children.)

I had to spend a bunch of time moving all kinds of stuff out of my home office and into the bathroom.

And then two hours into the ~three hour test the Pearson Vue service crashed and my test was corrupted. Their customer support has been very, very un-JMP like.

It's worth warning users interested in taking the exam remotely that if they are unable to take the test at work (where finding an empty meeting room would have been easy) it may not be trivial to prepare your room at home. And if they have problems, they should expect terrible customer service.

fja
Level III

Dear Community!

Let me remark that the JMP Certificates are retired as of December 31, 2022.

Regards