cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JaneOppenlander
Level III
Advance your skills with JMP case studies

423174_TW19616_FrontCover_Oppenlander.jpgCase studies are a great way to grow your analytic skills, whether you’re a student or a working professional. In this post, I’ll discuss some of the benefits of case studies for adult learners and where to find JMP case studies.

Case studies appeal to adult learners

Adults learn differently than children. In the 1970s, Malcolm Knowles developed the field of andragogy, the study of how adults learn and articulated four principles. With respect to their learning, adults:

• Are internally motivated and self-directed.
  • Bring life experience and knowledge to learning.
  • Want to learn what is immediately relevant to their job/careers.
  • Prefer a problem-centered approach (rather than content-centered).

Case studies are based on real-world problems and show how statistical methods can be applied in practical settings. Case studies are available from many sources and allow learners to target their specific needs, be it application area, statistical approach, or JMP navigation. Learning by example is a tried-and-true method for solving an immediate problem or to enhance your skills in a short time period.

Where to find JMP case studies

Here are some places you can find case studies to meet your needs:

Statistical Concepts

Data Management Concepts

JMP Features

Descriptive statistics

Data visualization

χ2 test of independence

Validating assumptions

Treatment of missing data

Aggregating variables

Fit Y by X

Recode

Categorical

Tabulate

This allows users to easily identify relevant cases.

Let me know how you’ve been using case studies to advance your skills. In my next post, I’ll share thoughts on using case studies in the classroom.

Last Modified: Jan 23, 2018 3:20 PM