cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

enhance window list with "automatic recalc" icon

Background:

I like that the default behavior in JMP is "automatic recalc" turned OFF. Sometimes I need to turn it ON, and I am grateful that this happens whenever I open a Local Data Filter. But during a typical JMP session I will end up with tens of windows open at the same time, some with legends and some without, some with automatic recalc turned ON and some with it OFF. JMP's row states can start to get pretty unpredictable in this frequently encountered situation.

Problem:

One way to restore predictability to row colors and markers is for a user to close whichever windows have both (1) a row legend and (2) automatic recalc turned ON, but sometimes it's hard to find those windows among all that are open.

Proposed Solutions:

1. Enhance various "window list" interfaces with a small icon that flags reports where there is at least one chart with automatic recalc turned ON. Right now those window list interfaces already have two other icons: a circle for tables that have not been saved since their last modification and a check mark for the currently viewed window. It seems to me that a third icon for reports that have automatic recalc turned ON would not interfere with those other icons. (In the case where the currently viewed window has automatic recalc turned ON, perhaps the check mark would take precedence over the automatic recalc icon?)

2. Alternatively, enhance various "window list" interfaces with a small icon that flags reports where there is at least one instance of a chart with both (a) a row legend and (b) automatic recalc turned ON. This logic would be more targeted and truly more relevant to solving the problem, but also more complicated to explain to users who are new to JMP.

3. Perhaps the "close multiple" interface could be enhanced with a button for "Select Automatic Recalc"

1 Comment
Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived
We are archiving this request. If this is still important please comment with additional details and we will reopen. Thank you!