cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Survey analysis- stratum and clusters

JMP currently does not have the capability of complex survey analysis. In sas survey analysis is done using several Proc survery___ procedures (surveymeans, surveyfreq, surveylogistic, surveyreg, surveyphreg) and I wish that JMP had such capabilities at least in future. These should take into account complex survey design including several stratums, clusters, and weights.

6 Comments
q8r1
Level I

I agree on this topic.  JMP has yet to break into epidemiology and a true embracing of this market would have the possibility of increasing its uptake in the academic space.

Nickbuon
Level I

getting into epidemiological requests for weights and stratum in my Data. Would like to use JMP instead of SAs as we are using JMP to get our masters students up to programming speed, quickly. Also, given the pandemic there is a lot of medical data being sought and used that needs to be sorted in surveylogistic. 

Is JMP going to provide to be able to provide this a solution?

cistoladp
Level I

As an academic medical research scientist and medical school professor, my students and I have been using JMP Pro for some of our projects.  It's a great tool for analyzing data as well as learning statistical analyses.  However, JMP Pro's lack of capability for analyzing complex survey data (with weights, clusters and strata), such as the widely used U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), is very frustrating and inconvenient.  My colleagues use other software for this purpose, particularly STATA or SPSS, and I have been forced to do so as well.  We may be forced to end our JMP Pro license and renew STATA instead, a program I find more difficult to use.  In any case, this issue has been a major inconvenience and monumental waste of time in having to develop proficiency in two different statistical programs.  We are trying to solve problems in science and medicine, not fight with software!  I am not the only one in this situation, and our campus does not have a JMP site license for this very reason.  JMP is missing out on a big market because of this critical lack of capability.

duahhenry
Level I

It will be great to be able to adjust for primary sampling unit, strata and sampling weights when using complex survey data like the NHANES and DHS. JMP should address this challenge soon for us!

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @doc4child, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: Not Planned For Now

Changing the status to Not Planned for Now. Development of complex survey analysis capabilities is not currently on the JMP roadmap, but we will re-evaluate if there are additional requests and use cases.