cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Random data generation menu

In many case, there is the needs to generate random data with different shape (Normal, Weibull, Lognormal,...) and parameters.

For example: one dataset (1000 data)  normal distribution (Average = 10 and Standard Deviation = 1.1) and one data set (2500 data) Weibull distribution (Shape Paremeter = 1, Scale Parameter = 0.1, Threshold = 0.1).

This need is linked to some simulations (capability, ppm, correlation,...)  we need to do with not real/concrete/process data in our hands. 

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

I would like to have a button in some menu (Table or Analysis) -> push the button -> open the menu where I can select the type of Random data Distribution and set number of data to be generated and the parameter

(see the attched file)

Why is this idea important? Please describe the value to you and/or other users if the idea is implemented (for example, ease of use, must have,…).

- Have the possibility to do some analysis and evaluation without real/concrete data;

- Easy menu for data generation;

- Flexibility on different data distribution needs;

4 Comments
hogi
Level XI

Is this what you want?

hogi_0-1700073616441.png

Simone1
Level IV

Dear Hogi,

thanks for the feedback.

The concept is OK... but the implementation not so good for me.

In this moment is not possible select the type distribution (normal, lognormal, weibull...) and it is not possible define the parameters (for example: if I want a specific average and standard deviation for normal data generation... is not possible).

So the actual menu/feature is in the correct way... but no flexible.

I hope I was clear in my explanation.

Best Regards,

Simone 

hogi
Level XI

what do you mean with:
 if I want a specific average and standard deviation for normal data generation ... is not possible?

hogi_0-1700124301452.png

Is you want to use distribution that is not listed, then you can use a formula column:

New Table( "test",
	Add Rows( 20 ),
	New Column( "Weibull",Formula( Random Weibull( 3 ) ));
	New Column( "Lognormal",Formula( Random Lognormal( 1 ) ))
)
Simone1
Level IV

Hello Hogi,

thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I can use the script/formula.

But... from my experience with different (many) users (in the day by day job) the utilization of formula column is too much complex (not user friendly).

If we have the chance to have a menu (similar on what I reported in my excel file) I believe that for the end user is much more easy.

Thanks

Best Regards,

Simone