cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

PERMANOVA and PERMDISP

Please implement in the formal GUI (not a scripting or add-in solution) the PERMANOVA and PERMDISP which are widely used in ecological data and have gained prominence with the groundswell of microbiome research. 

12 Comments
elpulster
Level I

Yes, JMP really should consider incorporating a PERMANOVA function.  It has gained a lot of traction over the last few years and is the new standard for ecological and environmental data with no assumptions of normality -- avoiding the need for data transformation.  I encourage others that use permanova to post more comments and/or give a thumbs up or "kudo".   

abmayfield
Level VI

Is there a "vote" button somewhere? I would like deperately to have the permutational ANOVA capacity (for which I normally rely on PRIMER) in JMP. If nothing else, I wouldn't have to run a parallel operating system (I currently must run Windows for the sole purpose of using PRIMER)! PERMANOVA is excellent for analyzing not only ecological assemblage data (e.g., microbiomes) but also any sort of big, OMICS dataset (or when there are multiple physiological response variables that violate assumptions of normality). It could really make JMP a "one stop shop" for ecologists were JMP to feature PERMANOVA and similar such similarity-based analyses. 

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager

@abmayfield, use the Kudos (thumbs up) button at the top to show your support.

2019-11-18_17-55-19 2.png

toadpalmer
Level II

Permanova would be a great (and necessary!) addition to the JMP platform, please consider incorporating it!

ezorlo
Level IV

What, this hasnt been done yet?

I need to run a repeated measures permanova and arranging the data for R and then figuring out why it doesnt work properly is not a task i am looking forward to

LocalOpossum668
Level I

I really need this option too! This would be a HUGE benefit to many environmental and ecological scientists. 

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @marxx, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

LocalOpossum668
Level I

Please add this! I come back each year to see if it has changed and still nada.

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Investigating

Based on some recent feedback, we are looking into this and will follow up with what we find out.  

abmayfield
Level VI

@SamGardner Great! Please let me know if you need a beta-tested (I am already a JMP Pro 18 EA user), as I have plenty of data with which to try this out. 

Also, another JMP developer (Tonya ?? I know there are a few Tonyas at JMP!) figured out a sort-of work-around to PERMANOVA, in which you conduct MDs, export the coordinates, and use the coordinates as Y's in partial least squares. Honestly, this works, but I think a lot of people like having the option of having the ENTIRE DISTANCE MATRIX as the Y, which is how PERMANOVA works (I think). Another option: PRIMER (the pioneers of these ecological statistics approaches) is bound to be a tiny company (5-10 employees?). Maybe JMP can just buy them, haha!