cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Option to only update Data Filter results on demand

What inspired this wish list request? 

I have a long list of test names pulled from a database (potentially several thousand plus). I would like to use the Data Filter so the user can interactively narrow down the list of tests to a few interesting ones. I have a script that extracts the selected tests from the data table and creates the appropriate SQL Query.

The most common method is to use the search bar in Regular Expression mode. However, because the list of results is filtered dynamically as the user types, it can result in unpredictable delays, pauses as JMP updates etc. For a few hundred entries it's fine, but for long lists it is frustrating that JMP will stop accepting input while filtering in the background (or will miss a few characters being typed).

At the moment I am using the following code in my data filter:

Add Filter(
	columns( :column ),
	Display(
		:column, Find( Set Text( "" ), Contains Terms( 0 ), Regular Expression( 1 ) )
	)
)

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

I would like to see an option available in the Data Filter search bar that only applies the regex code to the list when the user presses Enter (for example), or a button that applies the filter entered into the search bar. 

Why is this idea important? 

It improves the user experience when using Data Filter to construct query from very large lists of possible entries. 

I am using JMP17. 

2 Comments
jthi
Super User
matth1
Level IV

Thanks - I missed that one. Looks similar.