cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Make decimal separator an option

I would like to be able to specify decimal separators as comma or period on a per table basis. So decouple it from my local computer settings. Reason being that I import data from all around the world and export to people around the world as well.

15 Comments
FN
Level VI

The history of this ticket is surprising indeed. This is one common problem when loading text data. 

hogi
Level XI

Yes. Its interesting how many versions were introduced without fixing this deficiency.

I listed more topics in Tiny Traps in Jmp and JSL 

Experienced users may have found their way around the trap doors and might be happy with those issues. But for new users, fixing such issues could improve the start with Jmp significantly: no need to learn any workaround...

hogi
Level XI

To specify the issue:

• > 90% of our data uses point as decimal separator. So I urge my colleagues to specify point in the preferences as decimal separator.
  • Some files use comma as decimal separator. To load such files there are several workarounds:

a) use a specific addin that does the magic

b) load with commas, select the wrong columns and use standardize attributes to replace comma with point and convert the characters to strings

c) go to the preferences, change the decimal separator to comma, load the file, go to the preferences and switch the decimal separator back to point *)

*) don't forget!!!

d) load the csv file in Excel (specify decimal separator in the GUI - save it as xlsx and open in Jmp

e) Jmp18: use python/panda

f) load text file without parsing it, replace all commas with points, let Jmp parse it with point as decimal separator.

hogi
Level XI

One of the features which ARE available in Minitab:

hogi_0-1718103928694.png

FN
Level VI

@Sarah-Sylvestre, any update on this feature request? Thanks