cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Make decimal separator an option

I would like to be able to specify decimal separators as comma or period on a per table basis. So decouple it from my local computer settings. Reason being that I import data from all around the world and export to people around the world as well.

8 Comments
gerd
Level V

Hi Paul,

not sure if you came across the below wish. It's "In Development" (see comments) and goes in the same direction as your wish. There, a developer suggested to implement a field in which to enter the decimal sign which can be independent of the system settings or display language. This would work well for me, and I'm looking forward to it. I believe your idea is to add such a field to File -> Open, rather than the main preferences?

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Wish-List/JSL-command-to-Get-and-Set-the-Display-Language-in-JMP/id...

Gerd

pauldeen
Level VI

I like the plan mentioned in the post, if that can also be added to all file import dialog's we would have maximum robustness. It could probably be a table property (similair to a column property) for data stored in JMP tables.

Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived
We are archiving this request. If this is still important please comment with additional details and we will reopen. Thank you!
hogi
Level XI

@Ryan_Gilmore : please reopen the task.

Quite many people already had this wish. What is the reason that it cannot be implemented?

Are there some legal restrictions why it is not possible to add this option? 

It would help a lot of people in countries where comma and point are equally used as decimal separators.

sure: 

- Some users don't need this feature.

- There are workarounds.

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: New

We will reopen this and take it under consideration.  

Status changed to: Acknowledged

hogi
Level XI

thanks

hogi
Level XI

edit:
added a link to Tiny Traps in Jmp and JSL