cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Include Venn Diagrams in Graph Builder

Venn Diagrams are a great tool for comparing groups of data quickly, but currently are only available via Add-Ins and require special formatting of the data. Would be great to have it integrated into the graph builder GUI. The ability to display object names, not just object counts, would also be very helpful. 

8 Comments
abmayfield
Level VI

I concur. Also, there is currently a bug in the current script; if you want to use the "proportional area" feature, you get a strange error message. 

Luis_csic_
Level I

"Proportional area" feature is a must in Venn Diagrams. But also the area outside the Venn diagram should be showed as an option. Some Venn Diagrams are nice but irrelevant...

ezorlo
Level IV

agree! also should accept categorical variables and make its own frequency count so we dont have to manually input frequency into a new table 

abmayfield
Level VI

The newest Venn diagram add-in, which I last used in the past few days) is great and has way more features than before. I would strongly consider formally incorporating it as a full feature under "Graph," not just as an add-in. I know many molecular biologists like myself use this add-in weekly, if not more often!

XanGregg
Staff

What are the most natural data formats going in to making a Venn diagram? A Multiple Response column or set of indicator columns or ...?

Luis_csic_
Level I

Check this paper and the references therein: What can Venn diagrams teach us about doing data science better?    Int J Data Sci **bleep** 11, 1–10 (2021)    doi: 10.1007/s41060-020-00230-4

abmayfield
Level VI

I am so used to formatting my data so that it is suitable for Russ' add-in that I'd just say go with that. It sometimes have issues interacting with Java, so if it could be done in GraphBuilder exclusively, that would be awesome.  

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @AC_Repka, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.