cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Handling Hidden / Excluded rows / columns in Table-handling

Hello,

When using the Table-processing commands, it would be helpful to provide checkboxes in the dialog to determine how to handle hidden / excluded rows or columns. In particular, this is problematic with splitting tables.

Regards

Mehul Shroff

7 Comments
shampton82
Level VII

I like this, I would also like to add in a check box for using only selected data, that way you don't have to subset then split from the new table.

Steve

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: Needs Info

Thank you for this suggestion. Can you please provide additional information on what you would like to see?

MShroff
Level V

Hello,

I would like to have a dialog option to choose whether to include hidden / excluded rows in the output table when doing a Split Table.

On a related note, I would like to request the availability of the same option when doing an export from JMP into another format.

Regards

Mehul Shroff

hogi
Level XI

What a brilliant idea

If there is a good reason why summary respects excluded - there could be a similar reason why the other platforms should respect it as well (at least for some cases).

If there is a good reason why a platform doesn't respect excluded - there could be a similar reason why summary shouldn't either (at least for some cases).

Yes, 
please add a yes/no  >option< to ALL Table platforms 
...  to respect excluded  (for split, stack, update ...)
... and if you wish: to disable it for summary

Alternative: 

please add an option to store the excluded state in an additional column (many column in the case of split).

Alternative: 

Please add a warning that the respective Table Platform is one of those which ignore excluded
(e.g. as a option in the platform: "respect excluded" - an option which is disabled
or: as status text on the bottom left)

It's clear that the user just has to generate a subset of the non-excluded row.
so ...
Why is this idea important? 

Due to table linking - the user gets a visual feedback that Tables/Summary does respect "excluded":

Current Data Table() << Data Filter(
Add Filter(
columns( :age ),
Where( :age == {14, 17} )
));

hogi_0-1687316808898.png

So, it's not obvious that the other platforms ignore "excluded" - and it's hard to find this info in the Documentation.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager
@hogi wrote:

Alternative: 

please add an option to store the excluded state in an additional column (many column in the case of split).

Take a look at Row State columns. They do just that: store row states in a column.

hogi
Level XI

Hi @Jeff_Perkinson 

great that this feature is already available - I didn't find it.

Which option tells Tables/Split so map the row states of the the input table to row state columns in the output table?

hogi
Level XI