cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Graph Builder: Option to hide categories with no data

What inspired this wish list request? 

We have the same issue/need as described in this User Community question: Solved: Graph Builder: hide X categories with no data - JMP User Community. Here it is solved by scripting, but I would be much better and more flexible to have an interactive solution.

The Graph Builder always shows all categories on the x-axis, and sometimes that is fine, but in other situations it is not. I know there is no data, e.g. this particular measurement wasn't done for all batches. So I don't want to see the batches that have no measurement on the x-axis. This can be solved by adding a Where to the Graph Builder script, but not everybody knows JSL. And if we also want to use a Column Switcher (like in the User Community question), it requires a lot of JSL. See Example1.jmp.

The default behavior of the Graph Builder is also a problem when using Page. E.g. we have measurements for a lot of batches from different factories. I use the measurement as Y, Batch as X and Factory as Page and make it a Bar plot. The x-axis shows all batches, which means that most of each plot is empty space, while I would like it to only show the batches where there is data, i.e. the batches for that particular Factory. See Example2.jmp. I currently solve this by changing the Page to By, but then we loose a lot of nice properties that come with the Page setup.

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

A setting (the current can be default) like "Ignore/Skip x-axis values/categories with no data" that can be selected interactively in the graph builder. It could be under the Bar element settings if it doesn't apply/make sense for other graph elements.

Why is this idea important? 

To avoid graphs with a lot of empty space which makes it impossible to see the trends we are actually looking for. To avoid having to do workarounds.