cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Collaboration/Sharing of .JMP files on OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc.

Our company (and many others) have moved to Office 365. Now we have people sharing files that reside on OneDrive instead of e-mailing a 'copy'. Microsoft has done a good job of making it hard (impossible?) for there to be version conflicts of Excel, Word, etc. If someone is editing an Excel, or a Word, the changes are saved live so anyone else who is collaborating is always using the most recent view.

When it comes to .JMP tables we are still sending copies around and having to come up with creative ways to change the file name every time a change is made in an attempt to encourage that people are using the most recent / latest-and-greatest / best-we-know data and saved scripts. There is a need to acknowledge the trend here towards the cloud.

There are steps towards democratizing analyses, but I am thinking some mechanism is also needed for data. Maybe that's part of a future vision, too, and I just don't know it yet?

7 Comments

Please see my JMP Discovery Summit Paper we just presented on this very topic yesterday - why file sharing services like Google Drive, DropBox, etc are problematic, a workaround and how JMP Public solves this problem.

mjoner
Level VI

I want more than this. As I mentioned in my original request, there are steps toward sharing analysis such as JMP Public, but I want something to enable managing the data itself.

In other words, I see JMP Public as a tool to help ensure that there is one "true" copy of an analysis (e.g., report or interactive HTML output). But I also want a tool that ensures there is one "true" copy of the data, including any transformation formulas, recoding rules, row states, etc. This one "true" copy can be expected to change, and having a history of changes is useful, similar to what we get when we look at version history on github, wikipedia, or versioned online storage systems.

So JMP Public is a start, but I'm hoping for more...

Thank you for clarifying, that is a good point and we will take those ideas into consideration.

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @mjoner, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

Status changed to: Investigating

mjoner
Level VI

JMP Live now comes with the ability to download the data associated with the online report, which to me represents some progress on this. I do still think it encourages version clashes especially if someone works with a version they may have downloaded from Live at some point in the past and forgets to check whether there is a newer version out there...

hogi
Level XI

New wish - highlighting the issue when collaborating with files stored on OneDrive/Sharepoint:

Optimize Sharepoint Integration