cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Allow user to select which summary statistic to use in data filters instead of just count

Currently JMP allows showing Count in data filters.

jthi_0-1667807267852.png

It would be helpful if user could choose which summary statistic to use and even better would be if different column could be used to for the numerical value in the filter (with user chosen summary statistic, but I would be happy with just the value). This would provide lots of customization to the data filters.

In my (current) use case I build data filter based on summary table because my "main table" is too large for JMP to handle easily. Currently I'm just ignoring the count because they will all just show 1. If using different column was possible, I could use summary tables N Rows column instead.

jthi_1-1667807953164.png

5 Comments
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @jthi, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

hogi
Level XI

great idea

Status changed to: Investigating

danschikore
Staff

Thanks for the suggestion @jthi - I like the use of summary tables here.  One of the interesting considerations in this wish is how much functionality should be implemented directly in the filter, and how much we should build on the other capabilities of JMP to make filters more flexible.  For linked tables like summary, one option could be to show counts based on the source table.  Platforms can also be used to create a custom filter, giving access to summary stats, many other grouping options, and other roles like color.

This script demonstrates the use of Graph Builder to create a filter using Max as the summary stat.

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
New Window( "selection filter",
	Data Filter Context Box(
		H List Box(
			Data Filter Source Box(
				Graph Builder(
					Size( 220, 176 ),
					Show Control Panel( 0 ),
					Fit to Window( "Off" ),
					Variables( X( :height ), Y( :age ) ),
					Elements(
						Bar( X, Y, Legend( 4 ), Summary Statistic( "Max" ), Label( "Label by Value" ) )
					)
				)
			), 

Graph Builder(
				Show Control Panel( 0 ),
				Variables( X( :height ), Y( :weight ), Overlay( :sex ) ),
				Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 1 ) ), Smoother( X, Y, Legend( 2 ) ) )
			)
		)
	)
);

jthi
Super User

Using Data Filter Source Box is a good idea, but it is much more difficult to use than simple data filter (in my opinion). I like the data filters (in this case) for their simplicity of use and simplicity of how they look. They also have other features which are fairly easy to use such as the different modes, conditionality and user can easily add new filters by pressing AND.