cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Saving High Quality Graphics from JMP for Publication and Presentation

In this episode of Did You Know?, JMP Systems Engineer Ross Metusalem explains how to get your visuals out of JMP and into your presentations or publications so they can have the most impact for your organization. If you’re currently just copying and pasting a screenshot of your visualization into a PowerPoint, Ross says “Stop!” You’re pixilating your image and negatively impacting your message. Instead, Ross show you how to use vector graphics, specifically enhanced metafile format (EMF), to get high-quality images out of JMP. He’ll also show you easy ways to customize your graphics without going back into JMP.

Comments
I passed this on to my team and have started to use it. It takes a little more effort but the ability to modify the image once in report is very useful and saves time of remaking graphs when elements are requested to be removed or hidden.

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. Glad you and your team have found this useful.

Great

dougguthe

Thank you very much. I will be sharing this with my students from now on at Kenan-Flagler Business School. Very helpful.

MYLEE

very helpful! 

However, I have question: My graph has additional line within graph (y=x). Once, I changed to 'edit picture', those lines are extended outside graph. How can I delete to fit within graph box? Or it seems it is not appropriate for this type of graph to use 'edit picture' - so change font/color within JMP??

enhanced pic.png

Hi @MYLEE. I was able to replicate the issue. It looks like upon selecting Edit Picture (I'm assuming in PowerPoint), the reference lines are being extended to the vertical boundaries of the graphing area. This doesn't affect the y=x line, but the other lines get messed up. For those lines, try holding down the shift key and clicking on the line endpoint outside the graph area, then drag the end back to the graph area's frame. That should maintain the line's slope, and the line's endpoint should snap to the graph area frame.

MYLEE

@Ross_Metusalem Thanks- it worked in that way in MS powerpoint. Thanks for good tip to use JMP in presentation!

Glad that worked, @MYLEE. I hope your presentation is looking great.

Janet215

Extremely useful for a technical writer/journalist.  Thanks!

Not a problem, @Janet215. May your graphics be forever great!

cbhalpern

Very useful techniques. However, I am unable to change the line type in EMF, for zero axis and average line in Gauge charts. Line color and weight are editable.

Hi, @cbhalpern. Have you tried right clicking on the line and selecting Format Shape? On right click, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint will present options for line color and style themes at the top of the menu, but the full line type options are left to the additional options revealed by Format Shape.

cbhalpern

Yes. Here's what I've done:

• Created Gauge chart that contains lines for zero and grand mean (avg).
  • Selected and copied image and pasted special as EMF into Word or PowerPoint.
  • Edit picture
  • Selected and right clicked zero line or avg line
  • Attempted to change line style (dash style), but the line retains its original dash style. [I was able to change the weight and/or color of zero line and avg line]
  • Selected and right clicked several other lines in the image and was able to change dash style, as well as color and weight.

It seems that the zero and avg lines do not have the same properties as other lines in the image.

cbhalpern

I think I've found the problem. Both the zero and avg lines are not "lines," but 2-D shapes. I noticed that they each had a "height" of 0.01." I copy and pasted them and changed the height to 0.5". They appear to be boxes with a textured fill that gives the impression of a dashed line when reduced to a very narrow height.

@cbhalpern, that does appear to be the case. Thanks for pointing this out.

PIN

@Ross_Metusalem  awesome and very practical tips sharing! thank you and love to see more ~