cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JMP Challenge 6 -- something different!

jmp-challenge-v2.pngFor Challenge 6, we’re going to try something a bit different. Rather than having me tell you what the challenge is, we’ll do it the other way around. To keep things focused, I’m going to limit the scope to Data Table Columns that are difficult or seemingly impossible to create using the Formula Editor. For this month’s challenge, I would like you to:

1. Post a data table where the last column corresponds to the column to be created. Make sure to remove the formula, so people aren’t tempted to look.
  2. Write a short explanation of what the formula should accomplish.

As an example, I was recently asked to create two formulas. The first calculates the week of the year where Monday was the first day of the week. Week 1 starts on Jan. 1, regardless of what day of the week it is. The other gives the day of the week, where Monday = 1. The attached file called Week of Year Starting on Monday.JMP shows the results for these two formulas using some example dates. At the end of the month, I’ll roll up the challenges and solutions and add my thoughts regarding implementation difficulty and solution simplicity.

I’d especially like to hear from folks who may have been reluctant to send something in for the previous challenges, particularly new and novice JMP users. Post your challenges here, but make sure any solution is provided in a separate table or script so people don’t accidentally see the response. Likewise for responses to challenges.

Last Modified: Dec 21, 2023 1:08 PM