cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Two sides of the same coin

Tim Gardner, CEO of Riffyn, on his journey to a career in science.Tim Gardner, CEO of Riffyn, on his journey to a career in science.In a Statistically Speaking livestream earlier this year, we hosted panelists who are purpose-driven in their analytics. Tim Gardner, CEO of Riffyn, was among them.

In this clip, he shares how he came to dedicate his career to science. To learn more about his journey and passion for statistics and science, you can see the full discussion or watch a keynote by Tim at a different Statistically Speaking event on design of experiments.

"Well, the short story is I wanted to be an astronaut. And that passion ultimately evolved to engineering and engineering evolved to science because, the truth is, they are two sides of the same coin.

“Thermodynamics was born of the steam engine, and fluid dynamics was advanced through the Wright brothers' successful attempts to build an airplane. Signal processing was born from the development of radar, and virtually all the most innovative engineering in the world is derived from innovative science and experimentation.

“For me, I really followed the same path. As I wanted to advance as an engineer – in the engineering field – I had to become a scientist, almost by necessity, but also out of passion and joy for that.

“Ultimately, that led me from airplanes to robotics and to biotechnology and the life sciences that underpin it.”

Catch the event on demand.

Last Modified: Dec 19, 2023 3:35 PM