cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Join the first JMP book club!

Join the book discussion of Confidence Code in May and June!Join the book discussion of Confidence Code in May and June!While Discovery Summit Europe 2022 was filled with thought-provoking presentations from thought leaders, technical papers, and discussions, one of my favorite sessions was the affinity group for women in science and engineering.

We talked about how to get more women to speak at events, the barriers that women in science and engineering face, and the books we are reading. I have just finished reading The Confidence Code: The Science and Art of Self-Assurance by Katty Kay and Claire Shipman. Quite a few of us in the group wanted to read it, too!

As you know, for scientists and engineers, definitions are important. The authors of The Confidence Code set out to define confidence and found a satisfying definition. They interview women who display confidence – women athletes, women in the military, women in politics – to find out what their secrets are. They also look at the scientific research into confidence, from neuroscience to genetics. Finally, they offer steps to improve your own confidence and how to change your behavior.

We’d love for you to join our first book club, not only to discuss a great book, but to help women in STEM feel more confident in their own jobs. We’re running the book club over four weeks in May and June, expecting to discuss two chapters per week. Sessions will be one hour, held over Zoom at different times across the world. We are looking for session leaders who will guide the discussion, using discussion prompts (we can provide some) if needed.

This book club is not only for women. Anyone who wants to read and discuss the book is welcome to join. If you are interested in either participating or leading, please respond in the comments. We’ll be creating a space in the JMP Community for our group, Women in STEM.

I’m looking forward to meeting you at the first JMP book club!

Last Modified: Dec 19, 2023 4:26 PM
Comments
anne_milley
Staff

Please count me in, and happy to lead a session if needed!  Thanks, Di!

Agathe
Staff

Would love to join as well! 

Praveena
Staff

Hello Di, this is a wonderful initiative. I would like to join.

KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Hi Di, Count me in.

tkeller
Staff

Would also love to join!

gail_massari
Community Manager

Please add me. 

JessieA
Level I

May I join?

KathleenT
Level I

Yes! I would like to join.

Meg_Hermes
Staff

Count me in please!

allang
Staff

I'll join!

diball
Level III

I'm in!

trish_roth
Level III

Excited to participate. Thanks Di! 

Trish

IdaRahim
Staff

I would like to join too! Thanks Di! 

kathy_walker
Staff

I'd like to join! 

J_Marquardt
Staff

I look forward to learning from the book and the discussion -- I'll participate too!

JessicaHorsch
Staff

I would like to join, already started to read the first pages

alisa_h_lowery
Staff

Me!

billi
Level V

I would like to join.

Chandramouli_R
Staff

Count me in, please