cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Spider Plot Add-in

This add-in combines a number of visualizations related to consumer analytics, including Spider Plots, a multivariate plot on normalized values (riffing on @danschikore's RadViz add-in), a parallel plot, and pairwise correlation analysis.  The add-in installs as "Parker Analysis" (e.g. Peter Parker) under the add-in menu.

The setup is straight forward - just drop the variables of interest into the variables field and the sample/person/product ID in the Label field.  A summarized version of the Candy Bar Nutrition sample data set is included to demonstrate the table set up.  

MikeD_Anderson_0-1583350614270.png

Since collected data can sometimes not extend the full width of an available scale (i.e. possible values ranged between 1 and 7, but observed values only ranging between 2 and 4) the platform has an option to use the Axis column property.  Select the checkbox in the lower left of the launcher and the tool will scan the variables for Axis settings and scale those parts of the Spider plot accordingly.  

MikeD_Anderson_0-1584979271864.png

Comments, complaints, and thoughts for improvement are always welcome!

Updates:

19May2020: Switched from adhoc parallel plot to using Graph Builder's Parallel Plot and added a bar chart with a column switcher.

Comments
bemevar

Mike,

I get an error message. I have JMP Pro 13 installed.

Add-In "com.jmp.MikeyD.parker - Parker Analysis" is not valid for this version of JMP

-B

Hi, @bemevar!  

I developed the Add-in on 15.  Since I'm not set up to test on older versions of JMP, I peg my add-ins at the development version.  Check with the person that owns the license, you should be able to upgrade.

Best,

M

mnkamel

Hi Mike,

Very useful graph addin! I however do not see the red triangle for the radial visualizations (Spider and Radar plots), so I can not apply a local data filter or save these plots.  Also the resulting plots don't seem available when creating a dashboard.

I have version 14.2.

Thanks!

Best,

Hi, @mnkamel,

Since this is an add-in,  the red triangle menu would be something that I would have to program in.  But, you can get the pictures out by selecting them using the selection tool:

MikeD_Anderson_0-1592315505148.png

That should allow you to paste them into a PowerPoint, etc.  If you wanted that part to be in a dashboard, you'd probably have to code it directly.  I'm not aware of a method for making an addin available like that in Dashboards.  

Hope that helps!

best,

M

jpol

Hi Mike,

Great Add-In!

It works really well on our test/manufacturing data for high volume MEMS products.

Thanks for sharing.

- Philip

GEAB

Hi Mike

can one include this in a interactive jmp html file ?

Tried but the plots does not appear in the fields one can choose content for the web 

Cheers, Gernot

GEAB

Just checked the log and when trying to turn it into a html:

Interactive HTML: Unsupported display type: DataBrowserBox
Interactive HTML: Unsupported display type: Box
Interactive HTML: Internal operation does not support interactive graphs.
Interactive HTML: Color statistics on nominal and ordinal data types are not fully supported
Interactive HTML: Unsupported display type: ParallelAxisSeg
Interactive HTML: Parallel plot is not interactive.
Interactive HTML: Unsupported display type: ColumnSwitcherContextListBox
Interactive HTML: Unsupported display type: ColumnSwitcherContextOutlineBox
Interactive HTML: Controls are not interactive.
Interactive HTML: Unsupported display type: ListBoxBox

GEAB

ok - I can see that you answered that one before :) 

pitty that the spider web is not standard in JMP 15 - the code you made: is it accesible ?

@GEAB - I've attached the source - but I would really recommend that, rather than trying to use or extend the Spider Plot, you look for alternate ways of visualizing the data.  Spider Plots are pretty a pretty awful graph-type for communicating information.  That's the main point of the Parker Analysis add-in - to put other methods of visualizing the same data along side a spider plot to show how much more informative they can be.  

- Just a thought

M

GEAB

@MikeD_Anderson You are totally right on the visualization with radar plots - however in sensory its one of the hioghly accepted/used ways https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Comparison-of-sensory-profiles-of-cow-ewe-and-goat-yogurt-sample...

Thnaks for pointing at the code - did miss that :)

Ella

Thank you very much mike for add in. It is very usefull.

How can put label of points to each red and blue dot in the map and how can i change axis min max levels?

I am not sure whether i can explain what i am searching but here are pictures below to explain what i can try to do?

Kind regards,

Add Label Picture.PNGchange axis min max points.PNG

Hi, @Ella!

Thanks for having a look at the add-in - labeling dots can be done by hovering over one of the data points and pinning the pop-up (there's a little pin in the upper right corner when you mouse over the pop-up).  I'm not planning to add labeling to the plot, since every axis could be on it's own scale that would make things really busy.   You can control the scale of each graph by adding an axis column property and setting the max and min in there.  After that, there's a check-box in the dialog to tell the add-in to check the columns for axis properties.  That will scale each one independently, but again - no labels. 

Best, 

M

Ella

Hi again Mike,

Actually i can not find add value of each point to the graph. I only find adding row labels, but i dont want it, i want to add the values of that point in the cell. Could you put picture that explain how ı dan do it. 

Kind regards.

Hi, Ella! You can right click on a column name in the data table and select "Label/Unlabel" and that will then show those values in the hover label in the plot.  I've added a gif below to show how to pin the individual hover labels (though I don't have any labels turned on).  

2020-11-25_10-47-47.gif

s192403

Hey Mike, 

The values I would like to display in the spider web are between 1-5 and I do not know how to change the size of the spider web. For example, that the minimum value is 0 and the maximum value is 5. Is there any option to set the minimum and maximum value of the spider web?

@s192403 - set the Axis Column Property to have the max and min values you want.  Then use the check box below the columns list in the set up dialog to have JMP check for the settings.  If you need details, this has be covered a couple of times in the comments and in the description of the add-in.

Best,

M

abmayfield

Well, disregard my last JMP Community "vote" for a spider/radar plot option.....turns out this excellent add-in is exactly what I need! 

Hi Mike,

Great add-in!  works really well.  What formula do you use to normalize values from 0 to 1?

@vadim_livitz - I'm using the formula found here: 

MikeD_Anderson_0-1692986880849.png

MikeD_Anderson_1-1692986902688.png

Best,

M