cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Fill Missing Cells
jthi
Super User

This tool allows user to fill missing values based on previous/next/nearest found value.There are already tools which can do this in a way or another (even JMP has fill rows), but the ones I have used/seen are missing at least the grouping option this Add-in you to do, also this shouldn't require you to have data table sorted if you use Order column.

jthi_3-1644595692909.png

Current Options available

These are the current options found from the tool

Generic

Option Description Value
Keep dialog open Keeps dialog open if checked after run is pressed 0,1
Data sorted Possibility to choose if it is know that data is sorted. Makes script faster Unknown, Not-sorted, Sorted
Maximum Distance Maximum distance of values which will still be considered Missing (.) or num

Different fill types

Type Description
backward Looks for last found value before missing value
forward Looks of first value after missing value
nearest Looks for nearest found value
nearest-backward Looks for two closest values and if the distances are tied, uses value found before
nearest-forward Looks for two closest values and if the distances are tied, uses value found after
interpolate Uses JMP's Interpolate() function

Fill Unknown

Can be used with backward and forward fills. Copies latest values to missing cells which have no found value from the found values

New Column

Creates new column with Fill Type prefixed to name

Using the tool can be a bit tricky as the UI isn't best possible and I have yet to write proper instructions. You can post improvement ideas here here or in open issue in GitHub - Fill Missing Cells .

This tool is part of JMP-Tools I have been working on for some time now and I will release more Add-Ins when time permits in JMP Community.

Updates:

* Hopefully fixes bug with ordering column not being used and forward lookup not working if ordered data was used.

Comments

This was great, thanks.  I can get it to "group" according to column A, but it is filling up (forward) to the relevant data which happens to be, in this table, one row above the end of the character group in column A. It does this only if "data not sorted" is checked.  So close, but not perfect for me, yet.

Hi @jthi 
I am having some challenges with the add-in. I want to fill in cells forwards, i.e. copy first value after missing value. The backward function works as intended, but the forward is not as I would expect. The rows are sorted in the correct order, so the only column I have added is the column to be filled in. Do you have any suggestions? 

Steffen_Bugge_1-1714651156072.png

Steffen_Bugge_0-1714650879442.png

jthi

For me it seems to work fine (without any groups)

jthi_1-1714651827420.png

I have fixed some bugs to this add-in but I haven't published those to JMP community as it is a nightmare to keep JMP add-ins updated in four different locations. I might update this and join nearest if I ever have enough time and motivation to do it.

If you don't need to have groups, JMP's fill might be enough

jthi_0-1714651655008.png

Thanks @jthi !

JMP's fill will to the trick. I will sort the table backward to get the forward fill