cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
3D Plot Tools
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Version 1.2 fixes a few minor errors written to the log when the platform opens.

Version 1.1 fixes a bug in JMP 13 and allows multiple windows to move simultaneously.

This add-in creates animated gif images of 3D scatterplots, and rotates the plot using a method that may (or may not) be more intuitive than the method in the standard platform. Multiple plots can be rotated at the same time, which is useful when exploring the same graph colored multiple ways.

Here is the user interface:

Window.PNG

Below is an example animated gif.  Normally the default 10 frames per second is sufficient but if in a conference room with a good computer you might consider 30 or more fps.

scatterplot3D.gif

And here is what the mouse movement look like. Note how the z rotation does not change even with the 'tilt and rotate' option.  This keeps the plot 'right side up':

Rotate 3D Scatterplot.gif

The source code is on github, feel free to view and submit issues (or pull requests) here or there.

Comments
skr_1995

Hello @ih ,

I have an issue with the 3D Plot Tools addin that I need assistance with. When I open the GUI there is no way for me to select the 3D scatter plots that I have made. The "select a window" input box remains blank and still remains blank even when I click the "refresh list" button.The only time it seems to work is when I click the example link. I am trying to create gifs for a 3D scatter plots I've made in a work related project (I'm currently using JMP 13). Assistance on solving this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

ih

@skr_1995

As you indicated, it sounds like the issue was related to the way scatterplots were saved as they were static images instead of interactive charts.  If you want the ability to rotate a scatterplot in the future, you can save a script to create that scatterplot.  From the red triangle in the scatterplot 3D window, choose 'Save Script' and then 'To Data Table...'.

I just tried this out in JMP 15 and it works great!

I published an example to JMP Public:

https://public.jmp.com/packages/Diamonds-Data/js-p/YTkPnRjGN4twrn13JM0ZC

Thanks, 

~John

If you like this addin or any part of it, like being able to lock the z axis when rotating, please add your support in the JMP Wish List here: Improve Control of Scatterplot 3D Rotation - Keep Charts 'Right Side Up' by Locking the Z Axis

Thanks for entering your wish @ih

Bass_Masri

Great Tool. I had a customer from the forestry industry in Australia that asked me for something like this and was able to help him with this tool and article. Thank You.

adamjacks

Hi all!

I have used this plug-in before and I love it. However, I noted that in the most recent JMP update, it is not working or giving me an error.  I have pasted below, but in case it doesn't show, it says: "Installation of JMP add-in "3d plot tools failed...because the addin.def file does not support this OS. I am working on macOS monterey version 12.4. 

Thanks in advance for any input! 

adamjacks_0-1660939540820.png

WPeveler

I have the same issue as the poster above - JMP17, MacOS monterey. Any help gratefully recieved as this looks to be a great addin.

ih

@adamjacks   and @WPeveler  I apologize as I missed the much earlier note.  Yes I will take a look and get back to you.

hogi

@ih 
When I want to remote control a Scatter Plot with a Local Data Filter, I get the error message:

hogi_0-1679641585620.png

hogi

@ih 

the tool is extremely useful and the orbiting looks very elegant, very convenient :)

How about adding alternative options for the motion, e.g. micromotions.
One could specify the angle of rotation and the # of images.
Even with just 2 images, one gets a good impression where the points are located in the 3-dimensional space :)

micromotion.gif

ih

@adamjacks and @WPeveler :This does not appear to work correctly on a Mac, unfortunately I don't have one to play with, so I'm afraid someone else would need to help solve that problem.

@hogi: thank you for reporting the bug and I like your idea of an option for a smaller range of motion.  I will put both on my to-do list, I can't give a timeline though.  I would be happy to review pull requests over github though if you feel inspired to dig into the coding!