cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
klipson
Level I

why is my "select where" causing JMP to hang?

Using JMP16 standard, and I'm working on a largeish data table (90col, 2.4M rows). I'm creating a summary table, using "Update" to get the new summary column back into the main table, and then doing a "select where" on the newly added column, and JMP hangs every time. I thought it was due to my script, but I get the same issue if I do this manually. However, it seems to work fine if I use "Join" and create a new table and do the "Select where" on that. Is this a known issue with "Update" in JMP16? or is there some trick with "Update" in JMP16? I've never had this problem before, was using JMP 15Pro till last week. 

3 REPLIES 3
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: why is my "select where" causing JMP to hang?

I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you're doing. Can you post an example? Also, can you try it interactively with one of the sample data tables, like Big Class, to see if it's a general problem or related to your data?

I tried this with Big Class and it worked.

// Open Data Table: Big Class.jmp
// → Data Table( "Big Class.jmp" )
Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

// Data table summary
// → Data Table( "Big Class By (sex)" )
Data Table( "Big Class.jmp" ) << Summary(
	Group( :sex ),
	Mean( :weight ),
	Freq( "None" ),
	Weight( "None" )
);

// Update data tables
Data Table( "Big Class.jmp" ) << Update(
	With( Data Table( "Big Class By (sex)" ) ),
	Match Columns( :sex = :sex ),
	Add Columns from Update Table( :"Mean(weight)"n )
);

// Select where
Data Table( "Big Class.jmp" ) << Select where( Round(:"Mean(weight)"n, 1) == 100.9 );
-Jeff
jthi
Super User

I haven't had such issues with JMP16. Does the select where ever finish, does it select correct rows and are there any messages in JMP's log?

Only thing that comes quickly to my mind (without seeing the table) is that there are some formulas which are being re-evaluated or possibly there are some other graphs/tables which are linked to that original table which will then act when rows are selected. Do you have access to JMP15 anymore so you could test the same procedure with that? You could maybe try to use Compare Data Tables with updated and joined data table to try and see if there are any differences.

Also it is always an option to contact JMP support with email (support@jmp.com).

-Jarmo
hogi
Level XI

side info (not related to the problem, but to the "update"):

To get data back from summary tables to the original data table, you can just hold (long enough) and drag the column from the summary table to the other one - like magic!

Advanced Data Preparation: 10 Essential Tools in JMP(R) to Get From “Messy” to “Analysis Ready” ( 20... 

(~42min)

No "update" needed