cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

where is simple documentation?

I am probably missing something obvious, but I often struggle to find basic documentation of how to do things in JMP. For example, I am looking for basic instructions on how to do a goodness-of-fit test in JMP. I go to the JMP website, I search "goodness of fit test". It takes me to this page

Chi-Square Goodness of Fit Test | Introduction to Statistics | JMP

This gives a general description of goodness of fit tests, but does not tell how to do them in JMP. I know what a goodness of fit test is already. I just need a quick explanation of how to do one in JMP. None of the results returned by the search seem to do this. 

I have had this exact same experience for many different methods in JMP. In every case I just want a quick example of how to do the method in JMP. The JMP webpage gives a textbook explanation of the method, but does not show how to do it in JMP. 

What am I missing? Where is basic "how to do it in JMP" documentation?

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: where is simple documentation?

I suggest you start with the Help Pull Down menu in JMP

Help=>JMP Online Help

and then search on Goodness of Fit

Jim
hogi
Level XII

For "how to do it in JMP" use the new

hogi_2-1728417745524.png

from the help menu.

hogi_1-1728417724376.png

jthi
Super User

To find "easily" searchable options use either "Search JMP" from JMP's help menu or .pdf documentation (JMP Help web page search is very difficult to utilize in helpful manner), https://www.jmp.com/en_us/support/jmp-documentation.html. For the .pdf documentation you can also install an add-in which adds these to your JMP (these were removed in JMP18, not exactly sure why, maybe they want us to utilize Search JMP).

It also helps if you understand how JMP has been designed or meant to be used, you go from visual to more analysis. In this case, you most likely would want to first see the distribution of your data. Then fit some distribution and finally test how well it fits ( Discovering JMP > Introducing JMP > How Do I Get Started with JMP? and Discovering JMP > Introducing JMP > Understand the JMP Workflow ). In this case it happens by launching Distribution platform and then fitting a distribution from the red triangle menu of the column. And after that you run goodness of fit from the fitted distributions red triangle menu (this can then be automated via scripting/workflow or utilizing presets).

Just for searching generally use three different options in this order:

1. Scripting Index + Help button
    1. jthi_0-1728417862432.png
    2. Pressing Help will bring me here https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/18.0/#page/jmp/fit-distributions.shtml?os=win&source=application... and from here I can find jthi_2-1728418122430.png
  2. Use google with search term such as: jmp help goodness of fit test and try to find link which takes you to JMP Help (sometimes works sometimes not)
  3. Search JMP from Help Menu
    1. jthi_1-1728417921782.png
    2. Again you can press Topic Help or optionally try to utilize "Go" on your data
      1. "Go" won't always work as some of the features do have per-requisites (like goodness of fit test) but it can give an idea where to go
      2. jthi_4-1728418271906.png
      3. jthi_5-1728418284031.png this maybe gives an idea that I have to fit a distribution and then find Goodness of Fit after that (red triangle of fitted distribution)
        jthi_3-1728418255092.png

I would suggest this order to be reversed for most users but I like using Scripting Index for my "JMP search" needs.

-Jarmo