cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
learning_JSL
Level IV

trying to compute mean based on previous rows' values (need to retrieve historic values)

Hi - I am trying to figure out how to get jsl to retrieve prior rows' values (values from previous 4 rows) to use in a formula to compute the mean of those rows. For example, let's say my column A has the following values 3,3,2,8,0,2,2.    I'd like the formula in column B to compute the mean of column A using values from its prior 4 rows.   The mean function is straightforward but having I haven't figured out how to get it to read and use only a subset of past data.

Ex:   

colA   colB   

0         4

2         4

2         3         

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: trying to compute mean based on previous rows' values (need to retrieve historic values)

Hi,

Have you looked into the Lag () function? You can indicate the offset of the rows as shown below. 

If( Row() < 4,
	Mean( Lag( :Column 1, 3 ), Lag( :Column 1, 2 ), Lag( :Column 1, 1 ), :Column 1 )
)

There might be more elegant ways to do this, but this will work.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: trying to compute mean based on previous rows' values (need to retrieve historic values)

Hi,

Have you looked into the Lag () function? You can indicate the offset of the rows as shown below. 

If( Row() < 4,
	Mean( Lag( :Column 1, 3 ), Lag( :Column 1, 2 ), Lag( :Column 1, 1 ), :Column 1 )
)

There might be more elegant ways to do this, but this will work.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
learning_JSL
Level IV

Nice and simple.  It does not seem to be working when I use the new column function.  That is, nothing is being populated in my new column (the column holding the mean formula).  Here is my script:   

New Column( "hrly turb current",
numeric,
continuous,
Mean( Lag( :pearson_turb_fnu, 4 ), Lag( :pearson_turb_fnu, 3 ),
Lag( :pearson_turb_fnu, 2 ), Lag(:pearson_turb_fnu, 1) )
);

Am I applying it correctly?

txnelson
Super User

I will suggest that you look into the Col Moving Average() function

Names Default To Here( 1 );
Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
new column("mov avg",formula(
Col Moving Average( :height, 1, 4, 0)));
Jim
learning_JSL
Level IV

Thanks so much Jim.  I'll check it out.  I also got the Mean (lag) formula to work.   : ) 

learning_JSL
Level IV

Seems I just needed to add the word "formula" to the equation for it to work properly.  Thanks very much TS!